GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Creating elements from GDL code

Stanislav_S
Contributor

Is it possible to create Arhicad elements (polyline, grid, hatching, wall, beam, hole, etc.) directly from the GDL script code? To access or change their properties?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

GDL objects can not talk to each other directly.

They can communicate through external text files - but I would not call it a good solution - you have to force one object to write to a text file and another to read from it.

It is not an automatic process.

In GDL one object can CALL and use another object - but they are not separate instances of the object placed independently in a file.

It basically becomes one object.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

GDL can only create objects (which includes doors, windows, openings (holes?)), and they are controlled via the door, window and opening tool settings (they are special subtypes of objects and have their own tool).

GDL can mimic other elements such as polylines, walls, beams, etc., but they can not be controlled with the tool settings for those elements.

Only through object parameters.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

The opening object somehow gets a dependency on the WALL object on which it is installed. Is it possible to use similar functions to create a similar binding to the object for newly created objects. I would call it a point of contact. It would be possible to create objects that adapt to the parent object with which the connection is established

And another question: Is it possible only by means of GDL without writing Addon's to create a parent object that receives data about changes in child objects? And able to change the properties of child objects without user intervention?

Yes, doors, windows and openings can only exist when placed in a wall.

It is not possible for other objects to have this dependency except with accessories add-ons or possibly creating your own API add-ons.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Solution

GDL objects can not talk to each other directly.

They can communicate through external text files - but I would not call it a good solution - you have to force one object to write to a text file and another to read from it.

It is not an automatic process.

In GDL one object can CALL and use another object - but they are not separate instances of the object placed independently in a file.

It basically becomes one object.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27