GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Curtain Wall Anchoring

Carlos Molina
Newcomer
Good day.
I would like to know how to add anchor plates, anchor fist, and all related to curtain wall stack joint on my model.
I can easily create my curtain wall but I do not how to integrate it to my slab.

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Curtain Walls can have so-called Junctions, which are individual GDL Objects placed at intersections of Curtain Wall Frames.
If you know GDL, you can create or script this geometry and save it as a custom Curtain Wall Junction object, then apply it to Curtain Wall Junctions of your choice. In your example, this junction would probably be the point where vertical Frames connect into the lower boundary of the Curtain Wall.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Curtain Walls can have so-called Junctions, which are individual GDL Objects placed at intersections of Curtain Wall Frames.
If you know GDL, you can create or script this geometry and save it as a custom Curtain Wall Junction object, then apply it to Curtain Wall Junctions of your choice. In your example, this junction would probably be the point where vertical Frames connect into the lower boundary of the Curtain Wall.
Carlos Molina
Newcomer
Hi, Thanks.
It's not possible to add it as junctions due those are tie back to the panel and not to the mullion itself... Maybe there is a possibility to make the anchors an independent object but with parameters such a move it between each other like a grid.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Junctions are tied to intersections of Frames (mullions/transoms). But yes, I guess you can also define variables using which you can offset the geometry from the intersection point of two frames, in all 3 main directions if needed, so it can be positioned at any point in space.
Carlos Molina
Newcomer
Can you give some example of how I can achive that... I'm very new on this.
Thanks for all you support
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't know how well you know GDL because this requires GDL knowledge.
Let me attach a screenshot of a test I created.

At the User Origin you can see a geometry I created using Slabs. I then saved this as an Object, because it is not possible to save elements as Curtain Wall Junctions (it is possible to save Curtain Wall Frames, Panels and Caps, but not Junctions).
After saving it, I had to open it for editing in the GDL Editor and change its Subtype to "Curtain Wall Junction" (which can be found at General GDL Object > Model Element > Building Element > Curtain Wall Component > Curtain Wall Junction" in the GDL Subtype hierarchy).

You have to change the subtype because only this subtype can be selected in the "Junctions" page of the Curtain Wall Settings Dialog. Then I started placing it at Curtain Wall Frame intersection points (you can place them only when Frames are visible).

From the screenshot, you can see how the geometry of the Junction is placed and rotated compared to its original geometry modeled from Slabs. You can also see how it is mirrored when placing it on the opposite side of the Curtain Wall Reference Plane.
From this point, you would have to define variables for offsetting it in X, Y, and Z directions so as to position it at the exact desired location.

Carlos Molina
Newcomer
Thanks Laszlo for your reply. I think we nail it!
Mjules
Mentor
This is a good point, Carlos. Fortunately, your question has been answered.

In fact, structural elements' connections are crucial in architecture, and I wonder why ArchiCAD users have to master GDL language to better use that software for some construction documents. It should be easier since time is money!
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Mjules
Mentor
Nagy,

I would appreciate if you could share with us a video demonstration about your test using GDL.
Carlos wrote:
Can you give some example of how I can achive that... I'm very new on this.
Thanks for all you support
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I don't really do videos, only text and screenshots.
I tried to explain the whole process in my previous post. If you follow that and also experiment a little, you should be able to do it.