Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.
SOLVED!

Custom menu with only 3 of 4 sub-menus

MudratDetector
Enthusiast

Archicad 24.6004 USA FULL

Visual Studio 2017

I am creating a custom menu that has four sub-menu choices.  I made the attached .pdf to help check my work and reveal the problem.  Turns out that it only explains my problem.  I am only getting three of the four sub-menu choices.

- I have verified the reference numbers

- I can move the first three sub-menu choices around and see results

- I can place the fourth choice in the top three and see results

- I have verified that the .svg icon exists

- I have tried the fourth choice without an icon

- I copied one of the three working lines to replace the fourth and made edits

- I have successfully created another menu under the same parent menu with ten sub-menu choices

Can someone point me in the right direction for a solution?

Please and thank-you,

chris

Chris Gilmer
Intel i9-12950HX CPU @ 2.30GHz, 16 cores
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
48.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Chris,

Most likely this is because you added the "Help" menu item later.

You can verify this by trying to locate your menu in the Menus section of the Work Environment dialog. If it's there, then you have to add it manually to your already existing menu in this dialog.

You can also try to move your add-on to another computer where you haven't used it before; the menus should appear fine.

The reason behind this is that when you first add any add-on to Archicad, and that add-on registers menus, those menus are automatically added to the current Work Environment. Next time you start Archicad, the menu items are loaded from that Work Environment, and Archicad does not realise that you have changed anything in your add-on's menu items.

Best, Akos

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Chris,

Most likely this is because you added the "Help" menu item later.

You can verify this by trying to locate your menu in the Menus section of the Work Environment dialog. If it's there, then you have to add it manually to your already existing menu in this dialog.

You can also try to move your add-on to another computer where you haven't used it before; the menus should appear fine.

The reason behind this is that when you first add any add-on to Archicad, and that add-on registers menus, those menus are automatically added to the current Work Environment. Next time you start Archicad, the menu items are loaded from that Work Environment, and Archicad does not realise that you have changed anything in your add-on's menu items.

Best, Akos

Success!

I never expected a manual update would be needed for something like that.

Thanks for the hint!

- chris

MudratDetector_0-1642115676324.png

Chris Gilmer
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
48.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Aubrey
Participant

Hi,I am new to learn add on for Archicad.I wonder how to manual update the menu?

MudratDetector
Enthusiast

Hope this is still relavent...  or helpful to the next person...
I have version dependant branches in the folder structure of my dev environment that is for the working version of tools for the users in the studio.  The pointer for the Add-On Manager for the users is set to these locations.

I have completely separate braches in the folder structure of my dev environment that is for work-in-progress versions of the same tools for my  development.  The pointer for the Add-On Manager for me is set to these locations.

MudratDetector_0-1680894674294.png

The .apx file from the build in Visual Studio is saved at:
..\dev\v##\<project name>\Build\x64\Release

The updated .apx file is automatically loaded into my current ArchiCAD session because of the save location from Visual Studio and the Add-On Manager pointer setting.

Very seldom is there a need to manual load updates to menus.  The only time I have found that necessary is when an additional sub-menu choice is added to the main menu item.

See the response from Akos [above] for hints on getting that new sub-menu to appear...

Chris Gilmer
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
48.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit