GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Different height Dimensions of windows and doors

Joachim Suehlo
Advisor

Is it possible to use a height parameter for windows and doors, which can take on different values via the model view options and displays the corresponding values when dimensioning with dimensional chains, although the parameters A and B should not change.
Or to put it another way: are A and B always displayed as window dimensions in dimension chains or are these other parameters? If so, which ones and what rules should be observed when using these parameters?
Background: I would like to dimension the windows at different heights in the design planning and execution planning, in order to display the heights without floor construction and roller shutter boxes on one occasion and the complete shell opening dimension on the other.

Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi,

No, changing parameters based on views is against the logic of Archicad. An object can have many views and only one parameter set.

But you can provide multiple sets of width/height dimensions as explained here: https://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/nominal-sizes-automatic-dimensioning

and create the dimensions differently on different views.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor

Thank you Péter, for the clarification.

I tried this out, using the example in your linked article, and I got an issue:
The correct height in the auto dimensions of the value "ac_unit_height" does not work.
It always shows the total height, if I want to use Unit Height as measured value.
It does not work in the example nor in my own window, nor when I change the example from door to window. (I tried this out in AC 22 and AC26).
The reveal size has the same issue.
Do you have any ideas?

If this is a bug, is there any workaround?

The height should be shown based on which width is dimensioned:

PeterBaksa_1-1649768514493.png

It has a known bug in curved walls, as the curvature modifies the distance of the hotspots, a corresponding parameter pair isn't found.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor

Thank You again.
Now it works in both AC versions, I wonder why. 🙂
But I get a new issue. If I write:

ac_unit_width = A : PARAMETERS ac_unit_width = ac_unit_width
ac_unit_height = B - 0.2 : PARAMETERS ac_unit_height = ac_unit_height

It does not work, but it works with:

ac_unit_width = A - 0.1 : PARAMETERS ac_unit_width = ac_unit_width
ac_unit_height = B - 0.2 : PARAMETERS ac_unit_height = ac_unit_height

But I need the dimension where the width is equal with A and the height is equal B minus a height of a parameter.

I think that won't work.

Archicad checks which width parameter has the distance of the dimensioned hotspots, and uses its height parameter pair. If the widths are the same but the heights aren't, there is no choice which height is shown.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest