GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Door/Window head/sill height above storey level.

Barry Kelly
I may be missing something very obvious here but I have a problem.

I want to add text to a door object that shows the height of the lintel above it.
I am not interested in a separate label (I am pretty sure that would be possible, but it is not what I want at this stage), I want the text as part of the object like this.

It seems that all of the globals calculate the head/sill height from the base of the wall.
The problem is I want the height above floor level.

It is not a problem if the wall starts at floor level and the door is at floor level as well - 95% of the time.
But when I have a sunken floor (i.e. not a new storey) and the wall and door are modelled at that sunken level, I don't want the height above the sunken floor - I want the height above the home storey.

I have tried ….
SYMB_POS_Y
WIDO_SILL_HEIGHT
WIDO_HEAD_HEIGHT
GLOB_ELEVATION

They all take measurements from the base of the wall,

As far as I know there is no way to determine the height of the wall base from the door object.
It here was I could do a little math to calculate the head height above storey level.

This is what I am trying to get.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
3 REPLIES 3
Have you tried defining stories like in the elevator object? Not sure if it would work with doors but I use it for tons of stuff for text and display control through stories
Barry Kelly
SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
Have you tried defining stories like in the elevator object? Not sure if it would work with doors but I use it for tons of stuff for text and display control through stories
I'm not quite sure that is what I am after, but it made me think that the info is right there in the info box.
Then I remembered they are 'Fixed Name Optional Parameters'.
I just have to add the parameter to my door.

ac_sill_to_curr_story .... seems to be exactly what I am looking for (I think).
There might be some others that are useful too.

Shame there is not one for the head to current storey, but the math is pretty simple to work it out.

Thanks for the prompt in the right direction, even if that is not what you meant to do.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Glad I can help even if my answer wasn't what you were looking for.