Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.
SOLVED!

EDU license serial number via AC API / GDL REQUEST

Hi,

For an EDU license the GDL REQUEST options "program_info" and "Configuration_Number" return keySerialNumber=0 and empty string for "stConfigurationNumber". I assume the AC API does the same thing ( https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/documentation/apienv_protectiondataid) Unfortunately I can't confirm that right now.

Is there another way to get the EDU serial number in the API and/or GDL?

Bernd Schwarzenbacher - Archicad Add-On Developer - Get Add-Ons & Archicad Tips on my Website: bschwb.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
akomporday
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hello Bernd,

The serial number of EDU and Trial licenses is not exposed via the API. There is a good reason for that: while in the case of commercial licenses the serial number is just a pure technicality, for EDU and Trial licenses, the serial number is basically the license itself, bearing the entitlement for the user to use Archicad. This is why it's not exposed via the API, lest Add-Ons would be an e-mail address away from being able to snatch EDU and Trial licenses of our users.

If you need to restrict the usage of your Add-Ons, I'm afraid your only option is to introduce your own licensing/entitlement scheme (like many commercial Add-On vendors do).

Regards,

Andras

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

The 0 retported by GDL request is also true for Trial and Demo. So if the product is about to be allowed for EDU then You are on the safe side, no comercial license will get access.

Piotr

PS. I hate the current Requests for serials in GDL - the old REQ was very good because it worked in Parameter script and I couel easilly lock all if not licensed... now it is a pain in the ...a... because if using REQ - the reported serial is the temporary one if the soft license key is used ;(

Thanks Piotr for your answer. Unfortunately I have the requirement to allow access only for EDU licenses with specific serial numbers. And my question is about how to obtain those serial numbers of a running Archicad EDU instance.

Regarding your PS:
From my experiments it seems that the configuration number is fixed for software licenses and hardware licenses. So maybe you can try the request "Configuration_Number" instead of the serial number for those cases.

Bernd Schwarzenbacher - Archicad Add-On Developer - Get Add-Ons & Archicad Tips on my Website: bschwb.com

PS.PS. But we cannot access the "Configuration_Number" in the parameter script  ;( and that was my point...

Ah I see! I didn't understand that. Thanks for clarifying 🙂

Solution
akomporday
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hello Bernd,

The serial number of EDU and Trial licenses is not exposed via the API. There is a good reason for that: while in the case of commercial licenses the serial number is just a pure technicality, for EDU and Trial licenses, the serial number is basically the license itself, bearing the entitlement for the user to use Archicad. This is why it's not exposed via the API, lest Add-Ons would be an e-mail address away from being able to snatch EDU and Trial licenses of our users.

If you need to restrict the usage of your Add-Ons, I'm afraid your only option is to introduce your own licensing/entitlement scheme (like many commercial Add-On vendors do).

Regards,

Andras

Hello András,

Thank you very much for the detailed clarifications!

Hi Andras,

Just resurrecting this topic from 2021. Is there a way to know how many licenses (in the case of a commercial net dongle) that a keyserialnumber is associated with.

Cheers,
Mark
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Mark,

You won't get it from GDL as far as I know, but you can get it via the C++ API with the following function: https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/documentation/acapi_protection_getnumberoflicenses

(starting AC26, before that, there was a different function with similar functionality).

Best,

Bernd

Thanks for the info Bernd. I was hoping to avoid a add-on for this purpose in the off chance there may already be a way GDL can access this. I believe there are a few requests that are not documented that Graphisoft may be able to advise on that may do this?

Seems to me having this option would provide a good basis for developers to produce objects that are locked to a keySerial with a certain number of licenses without having to maintain a license management add-on nor ask users to install a add-on. Simpler the better!

Cheers,
Mark
Brisbane, Australia