Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.
SOLVED!

Experimental Python Development

poco2013
Mentor
I'm wondering if it would be possible to add/install the python GS module to the site-packages directory for Python3.7. Installation using PIP would be great.

I realize that one could still not run the script outside of Archicad, but it would allow the use of intellisence in editors like Pycharm and make development a lot easier?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Gerry,

The currently published version of Python Add-On is still experimental, but we are working hard on the final version which will come next year.
I can tell you for sure, that the final version of Python API will be an external Python module and it will be available using pip (PyPI), so you will be able to run your Python script outside of ARCHICAD also (of course a running ARCHICAD is needed). Many of you requested this feature during the Beta Test of the Experimental Python API, so it got high priority on our list.

The answer for your request/question is no, it's not possible currently, but please be patient.

Regards,
Tibor

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Gerry,

The currently published version of Python Add-On is still experimental, but we are working hard on the final version which will come next year.
I can tell you for sure, that the final version of Python API will be an external Python module and it will be available using pip (PyPI), so you will be able to run your Python script outside of ARCHICAD also (of course a running ARCHICAD is needed). Many of you requested this feature during the Beta Test of the Experimental Python API, so it got high priority on our list.

The answer for your request/question is no, it's not possible currently, but please be patient.

Regards,
Tibor
poco2013
Mentor
Thanks Tibor

I suspected the answer may be no but thought I'd ask anyway.

However, it is encouraging to know that the development on Python is continuing. I'm looking forward to the next phase as I believe this will make the Architectural world take 'notice' of the new power in Archicad.

Also hoping there will be another beta before the final release to iron out the bugs?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27