Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Experimental Python add-on is available for Archicad 23

Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi folks,

See the blog post on the developer site: https://archicadapi.Graphisoft.com/experimental-python-add-on-for-archicad23

Good luck!

Akos
86 REPLIES 86
poco2013
Mentor
I see that Graphisoft has done some additional work on the Python interface, adding some functions and changing a few others. These are welcome additions but still short of a complete functional SDK.

I am wondering if the previous Python forum is going to be reconstituted and if the old group will be invited back or a new group used?

I recognize that this is still "EXPERIMENTAL" but there remains quite a bit of work to be addressed. Notably, the conflict of external third party Python add-ins, an interface to the interactive schedules and many items left on the work list which are needed to make this concept practical.

Wondering if Graphisoft is going to continue development or if this release is "IT" for the 23 update?

If this is the development expected for the 23 version, I expect it will be many,many, many years, if ever, that Python will be viable or useful in Archicad. My greatest concern among others is the limited exposure of data within the new and old functions and a efficient presentation method. This has yet to be addressed.

Hoping we can all get back to work on this valuable project.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:

Good luck!
Thanks, Akos for letting us know. When AC23 DevKit will be published? I assume that this version is only for Beta Program participants ?
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Only after the final version of ARCHICAD 23 is available, that means some time September.

Best, Akos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:
Only after the final version of ARCHICAD 23 is available, that means some time September.

Best, Akos
I see. Are you planning some additional sits for Beta tests before September? I am very eager to do some testing before September
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Yes, of course. Please apply on the beta site.

Best, Akos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:
Yes, of course. Please apply on the beta site.

Best, Akos
Thanks. I have applied.
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
poco2013 wrote:
I see that Graphisoft has done some additional work on the Python interface, adding some functions and changing a few others. These are welcome additions but still short of a complete functional SDK.

I am wondering if the previous Python forum is going to be reconstituted and if the old group will be invited back or a new group used?

I recognize that this is still "EXPERIMENTAL" but there remains quite a bit of work to be addressed. Notably, the conflict of external third party Python add-ins, an interface to the interactive schedules and many items left on the work list which are needed to make this concept practical.

Wondering if Graphisoft is going to continue development or if this release is "IT" for the 23 update?

If this is the development expected for the 23 version, I expect it will be many,many, many years, if ever, that Python will be viable or useful in Archicad. My greatest concern among others is the limited exposure of data within the new and old functions and a efficient presentation method. This has yet to be addressed.

Hoping we can all get back to work on this valuable project.
Yes, I know and understand you concern, I have the same feelings .
In this AC23-based experimental version we plan to add only very small changes; and our main goal is to gather your thoughts to shape the future of the non-C++ API (C++ will always be there for those who want deep integration with AC). Also, we have a much bigger API "refurbishment" going on internally, which at first will cover only some areas of the application, and expose that in JSON and Python.
I also hope that this glimpse into the future is already usable in its current form; I have seen such posts on the previous beta forum already.

Best, Akos
poco2013
Mentor
Thanks Akos.

I first want to say that I was very pleased with the present release of Python. I am already using the functions, notably the Property dictionary. Lacking are the dictionaries for quantities and the elements which I hope will come soon?

As to gathering comments on its practical usage, with the end of the python forum , there isn’t a practical means now to do so. I think this Development section is not appropriate as it might cause confusion between the C++ API and Python. I suggest either resurrecting the previous python forum or adding a separate Python section in this forum. A Python section here would perhaps provide more exposure and interest.

I am, however, disappointed to hear of a yearly version rollout. I would prefer to see a SLOW, but continuous, rollout (several small additions/year) whereby the users could test each improvement and comment on their usability. This avoids inadvertent “left” turns and may better direct the workflow to the users concerns and their client’s requirements.

I think it is very important for the users to provide feedback to Graphisoft’s new senior management on this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts Akos, they are much appreciated.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe a stupid question - Does this mean that ARCHICAD 23 will support writing API with python?