Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Experimental Python add-on is available for Archicad 23

Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi folks,

See the blog post on the developer site: https://archicadapi.Graphisoft.com/experimental-python-add-on-for-archicad23

Good luck!

Akos
86 REPLIES 86
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
No, it's not

And the answer is: not officially, but you can experiment with it by installing the PythonSnippets add-on.

We'll provide the version which works with the final build, and we may update it as well as time passes.

Best, Akos
poco2013
Mentor
Akos wrote:
No, it's not

And the answer is: not officially, but you can experiment with it by installing the PythonSnippets add-on.

We'll provide the version which works with the final build, and we may update it as well as time passes.

Best, Akos

As a early user of the Python Experiment, I recognize the importance of this tool in Archicad. But frankly I don’t like the direction its development is seeming to take now.

It seems to have fallen into the same odd category of: the list schedules, wall framing and other goodies that were never fully developed to their full potential. Never developed until more usage was shown and not used because of limited development. Basically the “the chicken or the egg”.

The causal user may not appreciate the power and productivity of the Archicad C++ API. It is, however, the most complex and convoluted API that I have ever seen.

The Python experiment solves those problems-times ten. It's obvious the developers recognized previous problem areas and have smartly alleviated the “road blocks” through the clever use of the Python Dictionaries. This puts the whole potential of the API features within the understanding and capability of the typical office director or even the single owner as a logical tool. IOW, It greatly expands the capability of Archicad for the Architect’s office and allows us to offer more services to our clients with little extra effort.

The knowledgeable developers of Archicad seem to have set a course of developing a tool of maximum convenience while maintaining access to most of the programs capability.

---BUT----

Without user support, it is also obvious that it may be years before its full potential could be realized to any useful value , if ever– again the “ Chicken/Egg scenario”. Leaving another great idea to die in Archicad.
IMNOHO, if you want to see this feature developed, as it should be, a massive show of user support is needed now. We must advise Graphisoft’s management of OUR support. I‘m suggesting that more than one/two users interest need be shown.

You can best show support by adding your comments here or by directly communicating your thoughts to your local supplier.

A sub-topic here, whereby, users could comment, ask questions, demonstrate applications and trade snippets would be most helpful.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
gavinNZz
Advocate
This sounds more than interesting and I just hope that this is developed with a view to help AC users to develop the software in directions that suit their businesses and clients. The old fashioned idea that 'one size fits all' is just not applicable in the modern world.

I would love AC to open up its API more broadly to allow users to develop aspects that have been neglected over the years or areas that can provide true efficiencies. I can only see this as being of benefit to GS.

How about creating an 'add-on marketplace' where new tools can be supplied to users through an official GS channel? Surely there is money to be made for GS in taking a % of sales.

Allow the users to direct the software development by which add-ons they buy. This will then highlight the aspects of AC that users feel need new solutions applied. They don't have to be huge add-ons just little tweaks here and there to increase usability of the software.

Hopefully the adoption of Python will open the door to a larger array of productive add-ons.
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:
No, it's not

Best, Akos
So it will still be beta when Archicad 23 is out?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to agree totally with poco2013 and have the same fears...
I am a fan of thoughtful, cautious development, BUT at this speed we will lose a lot...

BIM has already spread and the next and IMPORTANT step to exploiting the benefits that BIM brings is AUTOMATION. - Only then will BIM make economic sense.
Development intervals of 1 year are insanity - that is lethargic "old economy".

I look after / consult several large companies or groups (5000+ employees, 100+ locations, 50+ states) during system conversion / integration of "BIM" into existing and current IT systems and processes...

In these environments, Autodesk is present in all areas, because it can be extended with almost any programming language - if a function is needed, I can program it easily and cheaply - have to use C / C ++, this is much more complicated and expensive.

If we (actually Graphisoft) are not finally accelerating in the area of ​​automation, "simpler but stronger API", data import and export using 'scripts' (parameters, properties, ...), we will lose our current leadership position in CAAD BIM software...

Think of automation in ARCHICAD at night, I can't sleep anymore ...

Best regards from Vienna,
Klaus
leceta
Expert
Hi, I'm having problems with AC23 3003. The addon seems to compiled for AC23 3000 as said in the addon manager dialog.
Am I missing something or an updated python addon will be uploaded (shortly)?
thanks,
aitor leceta
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
leceta wrote:
Am I missing something or an updated python addon will be uploaded (shortly)?
Hi leceta,

The updated python Add-On should be compatible with any ARCHICAD 23 versions (build number higher than 3000).
Please note, that Python 3.7 must be installed to your machine. Are you sure you have it?
Make sure it's added to your PATH environment variable. You can check it by starting a Command Prompt and type in: python
By default Python 3.7 was installed to this path: c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\

Quote from the documentation:
ARCHICAD searches for python at your computer. On macOS it searchs at the following fixed path: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions.
On Windows platform it uses PATH environment variable, so please add the path to the installed python to your PATH environment variable.
You can download Python installer for free from the official site of Python:
Download Python 3.7 installer for macOS: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-macosx10.9.pkg
Download Python 3.7 installer for Windows: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-amd64.exe
leceta
Expert
oh, python 3.7!! my bad

thank you Tibor!!
Joe Putnam
Booster
there does seem to be a few issues with resolving dlls but this at first glance appears to "work". Could be interesting to add a few examples the the snippets folder.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rhino Inside ARCHICAD?
Joe, can you tell a bit more about the above example?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27