Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Experimental Python add-on is available for Archicad 23

Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi folks,

See the blog post on the developer site: https://archicadapi.Graphisoft.com/experimental-python-add-on-for-archicad23

Good luck!

Akos
86 REPLIES 86
leceta
Expert
joel putnam, you can watch some demos by L.Fraguada here
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-inside-ue-getting-started/89269/14

BTW thanks for your work with blender. I suspect that if archicad's API would be more open, we would see more tools for ArchiCAD developed by the community.
poco2013
Mentor
I installed the latest Python version - AC23_3000. I noticed that there are a few more functions available that are not listed in the supplied documentation. (Used -- GS Listing.py)

Is there a updated documentation file available or am I not using the latest version?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
mr_Mikhail
Booster
Why are comments closed in the blog?
And understand, it is better to write the questions here?
I was wondering why they decided to leave behind the scenes the definition of functions from the documentation? I would be very interested to try to define them myself.
mr_Mikhail
Booster
Tell me please. Is there any function to read the parameters of the GDL object?
mr_Mikhail
Booster
I parsed almost all the examples and more or less well understood the work of the API.
The GetElement() function works very strangely. And it is not even in the documentation.
Due to limitations and lack of features, it is very difficult to come up with a more or less working implementation. But something that works as in the examples like as working with a book of layouts can be put to work.
Will there be any news? I had to start diving into the original C++API.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This Python development is in its experimental stage so we will see if and when a permanent implementation will come. I think odds are it will because at the Key Client Conference this summer, GRAPHISOFT talked about their plans to expand the API with Python and JSON. But we will have to wait and see how it pans out.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mr_Mikhail
Booster
LaszloNagy wrote:
This Python development is in its experimental stage so we will see if and when a permanent implementation will come. I think odds are it will because at the Key Client Conference this summer, GRAPHISOFT talked about their plans to expand the API with Python and JSON. But we will have to wait and see how it pans out.
I need help

You can tell how to control the drawing bounds using the PlaceViewsToLayoutsFromExcel script. Maximum what I was able achieve can be watch in attached file and on video as this works. I don't know how to control the drawing bounds.
I tried to influence API_Box. Can there be that solution in API_Polygon?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I am not a Python developer, hopefully someone else will be able to answer you.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mr_Mikhail
Booster
Extension doesn't work with python 3.8.
Please check anyone this statement. I have only works with version 3.7.х - 64х

And repeat: Why is not available in the blog comments of the developers?
http://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/blog
Karl Ottenstein
mr.Mikhail wrote:
Extension doesn't work with python 3.8.
Please check anyone this statement. I have only works with version 3.7.х - 64х

And repeat: Why is not available in the blog comments of the developers?
http://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/blog

You keep writing as if this is a release version piece of software. It is what it is, and is only a toy at this point to play with. As stated on the "Experimental Python Add-On for ARCHICAD 23" page:
"This is strictly an experimental (prototype, "Lab") version.... Enter at your own risk"
When you download and look at the first page (index) of the documentation, you will read:
Python API is an Add-On, which can be run inside ARCHICAD. It implements a python wrapper for the existing C/C++ API. Please note the current state is experimental,
Python 3.7 must be installed to your machine.

This is very clear: you must use Python 3.7 is you want to play.

If the developers have anything to say, they will say it here or in the documentation/developer site. Again, this is an experiment, not a supported product.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB