Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Experimental Python add-on is available for Archicad 23

Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi folks,

See the blog post on the developer site: https://archicadapi.Graphisoft.com/experimental-python-add-on-for-archicad23

Good luck!

Akos
86 REPLIES 86
mr_Mikhail
Booster
Hello, friends.
Opened write access to the beta version 24
beta.graphisoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I recognize that this is still "EXPERIMENTAL" but there remains quite a bit of work to be addressed. Notably, the conflict of external third party Python add-ins, an interface to the interactive schedules and many items left on the work list which are needed to make this concept practical. better discord // tubemate // mobdro
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have recently downloaded Archicad 23 (23.0.0.3003) and tried to install the Experimental Python add-on but in the Add-in manager, I got the message that the Add-on was outdated (see screenshot below). I thought the Add-in would work with Archicad 23? Or does it only run on a specific sub-version of 23?

Many thanks in advance!
mr_Mikhail
Booster
mnky wrote:
I have recently downloaded Archicad 23 (23.0.0.3003) and tried to install the Experimental Python add-on but in the Add-in manager, I got the message that the Add-on was outdated (see screenshot below). I thought the Add-in would work with Archicad 23? Or does it only run on a specific sub-version of 23?

Many thanks in advance!

python-error.PNG
Hi, I had a similar problem.
Try adding the extension via the add-in Manager in a path other than the ARCHICAD folder.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

To those with Python add-on outdated issue, thank you for sharing the issue with us!

I encounter a similar symptom as you described. It turned out that I had Python 3.8.3 installed on my machine. The guide for the Experimental Python Add-On for ARCHICAD23 stated that "Python 3.7 must be installed to your machine.".

Once I removed Python 3.8.3 and installed Python 3.7.3, the add-on is loaded correctly. Please download Python 3.7.3 here
Windows: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-amd64.exe
macOS: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.3/python-3.7.3-macosx10.9.pkg

Let me know how it goes for you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Archicad 24 is out and Python API is now embedded into Archicad.
Note, it's not an experimental version anymore and it's not an Add-On anymore.
It's much more simple to install and I hope you will like it.

Please visit our website (https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/python) to explore the capabilities of the new Python/JSON API!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The reference is so obscure. Who do you target it for? There are no appropriate examples. Not to mention the C++ API which is so unclear for anyone with no C++ background that it just not useful at all. For me, as an architect, who knows javascript, it is so unclear, I cannot make use of it.

I was looking in how to change the text in a text frame. Still, cant. Yes, there is an example on how to create text, but there is no example on how to edit the existing text field. Why not put it in the reference? All adequate references have such examples, eg JS, PHP, PY... whatever. Yours just doesnt.

Why not make it all clearer and simplier. Like in JS? textone = new Text (id); text.text ="my text"; ... etc. no, you just make it overcomplicated. An no real examples added. What we are paying for, Graphisoft?
poco2013
Mentor
IvanIvan wrote:
The reference is so obscure. Who do you target it for? There are no appropriate examples.
I have been wondering that myself? The present version of Python is so limited as not to be useful except with properties and some navigator access. Definitely a step backward from the experimental version -- 23.

FYI:
24 has no capability to address text. I assume the backward scope was necessary because of the workload needed to reorganize the product. The next release of Python should tell if we are going to see some meaningful capabilities, as promised.

As to the examples, I have to disagree, The examples referenced (IMNSHO) do adequately demo the present functions of python 24. Documentation is fairly good, but you must be familiar with Python not Javascript. There are a huge number of Python videos on YouTube, so it would not make sense for Graphisoft to reproduce. Unfortunately there is not much you can do with the present version, which might lead to the confusion. The present version is only the ground work needed for future efforts. Very little functionality.

With the preliminaries out of the way (Good Base), the next update should tell us if Python in Archicad is intended as a future productive tool or is just marketing hype?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think,I shall clear my point.
It's not about Python documentation which is wonderful and clear, as there's a large community behind it.
It's about the ArchiCAD API's documentation which suks. They dont allow me to address the object directly, like in the Adobe InDesign's script. They force me to work through their API calls. OK, the only one thing I need to do is to change the text in a text box. Very well, they have the CreateText (element, memo); which is fine. And they have ChangeText (element); which is not. It doesn't allow me to change the text contents of the text box. Why?

You say, the documentation is ok. Well, I cant agree with that. All they do is address me to the C++ API documentation. Why not add a simple example code in the end? BTW, they did add it for some functions, to be honest. Like getSelectedElement which is very well documented. But I spent some hours to figure out if there is a way to change the text in a text box. No way. Why don't they just say: «we don't want you to change the text in a text box: you can create one, but not change».
It could've been more honest to make it clear first. Not to mention the strange behaviour: why can I create but cannot change

poco2013 wrote:
IvanIvan wrote:
The reference is so obscure. Who do you target it for? There are no appropriate examples.
I have been wondering that myself? The present version of Python is so limited as not to be useful except with properties and some navigator access. Definitely a step backward from the experimental version -- 23.

FYI:
24 has no capability to address text. I assume the backward scope was necessary because of the workload needed to reorganize the product. The next release of Python should tell if we are going to see some meaningful capabilities, as promised.

As to the examples, I have to disagree, The examples referenced (IMNSHO) do adequately demo the present functions of python 24. Documentation is fairly good, but you must be familiar with Python not Javascript. There are a huge number of Python videos on YouTube, so it would not make sense for Graphisoft to reproduce. Unfortunately there is not much you can do with the present version, which might lead to the confusion. The present version is only the ground work needed for future efforts. Very little functionality.

With the preliminaries out of the way (Good Base), the next update should tell us if Python in Archicad is intended as a future productive tool or is just marketing hype?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, sorry, I didn't notice you sayng examples of 24... yes, you're right! I meant the 23. The 24 is a huge stepback and surely a great PR solution to make it look like they are more competitive than revit.
poco2013 wrote:
IvanIvan wrote:

FYI: