BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

GDL command to hide one small part in some plan view while other plan view shows all parts?

William Yan
Expert

Hi guys!

I have a question. Is there a way or GDL command , can hide one small part of a GDL object in some plan views (say floor 1) while other plan views (say floor 2 and 3) shows all parts of the GDL object?

THanks!

AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend

There are a number of Global Variables listed in the GDL guide that would enable such behaviour. Story Information has several globals to interrogate and apply e.g. GLOB_HSTORY_ELEV. You might also find GLOB_CUTPLANES_INFO of interest.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thank you. Is there any tutorials I can follow? As English is not my language I find hard to follow GDL manual to do real job. 

DGSketcher
Legend

I don’t think there are any tutorials available covering this area. Try creating a simple object and then play with the global values to see what happens e.g if home story is greater than 3.00m then draw shape A else draw shape B. If you are new to GDL it may be take a while to work out what you need to do.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

You could try looking at the scripts for the elevator object to see how that works across storeys.

I am not saying that will be easy to understand though.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
William Yan
Expert

Thank  you guys,  I will try my best to write something. But I opened some gs gdl objects, I am shocked, seeing so many "call" and "if endif", too hard for me.  I'd rather write my gdls for blank.

Kotetsu
Advocate

I created a very simple object.

In the floor set in the "hidefloor" parameter (array), the elements from "Hide" to "Hide end" will not be displayed.

I hope this is as you intended it to be.

Thank you! I will try to understand it.

The Library Developer Kit has an Example Library, the "Floor Plan Cut Plane Example" object might help you how to use these globals.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Your example helped me as well, I'm having a similar issue. And, I think he'll need to get which is the "Home Story" of the object inserted, to be able to know if the current story above or below it.

Is there a way to REQUEST the home story index?

Using this:

n = REQUEST ("Home_Story", "", index, story_name)

Gave me no luck.. Seems like it also returns the "current story" instead of the object's home story index.

Architect / BIM Manager at IDEIA1 - www.ideia1.com.br
Archicad 26 / Windows 10 64
Learn and get certified!