Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

GRC compiler crashing on OS X

Karl Ottenstein
Hi guys,

The transition to CodeWarrior on OS X from VS/XP has been 'interesting' and a little time consuming.

Any GRC file that I move from my XP machine to the Mac causes the Graphisoft GRC compiler (ConvertGRC_90) to crash. I thought it was just my own GRC files ... it just did it for Navigator_TestFix.grc from the examples folder.

I'm just right-mousing the GRC file in CodeWarrior and clicking on Compile.

The GRC files in the Mac dev kit compile just fine. So do the ones created by "New | Graphisoft Add-on".

If I open a Mac GRC and an XP GRC file in Word on the Mac and turn on hidden symbols, they look the same, but hexdump shows the CRLF at the end of each line on a Windows-originated file and only LF on Mac-created files. Which I guess I'd heard about in the past, half-listening to Mac people, not thinking I'd ever be one. This shouldn't cause the GRC compiler to crash, though, should it?!!

As a workaround, I've found that if I open a Windows grc file in Word on the Mac and then immediately save as text, then the CR's are stripped off and all works fine.

I've reported this intolerance of CRLF sequences as a bug.

Karl

PS Here's part of what I get from the Mac bug reporter after the crash:
Date/Time:      2004-12-04 18:05:09 -0800
OS Version:     10.3.6 (Build 7R28)
Report Version: 2

Command: CodeWarrior IDE
Path:    /Applications/Metrowerks CodeWarrior 9.0/Metrowerks  
CodeWarrior/CodeWarrior IDE
Version: ??? (???)
PID:     583
Thread:  2

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 2 Crashed:
0   ConvertGRC_90                 0x070bb548 Write_Error__FPclUc +  
0x1e8
1   ConvertGRC_90                 0x070bb7ac CL_Error__FPc + 0x24
2   ConvertGRC_90                 0x070bb064 InitMacBuffer__FPclc +  
0xe4
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Well, you can't ask for better customer service than this: Akos Somorjai already sent me a revised version of ConvertGRC_90 this morning!

I imagine he will share it here, or it will be added to the developer downloads page.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Folks, we plan to release a new version of the 6.1 DevKit -- just as a Christmas present for you

That'll contain the updated GRC compiler plugin.

BR,

Akos
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
As a workaround, I've found that if I open a Windows grc file in Word on the Mac and then immediately save as text, then the CR's are stripped off and all works fine.
Karl,

You can easily change the text file type (Mac/DOS/Unix) from a menu in the toolbar at the top of every source-code window in CW (and many other text editors). See the attached image.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
You can easily change the text file type (Mac/DOS/Unix) from a menu in the toolbar at the top of every source-code window in CW (and many other text editors). See the attached image.
Aha! Thanks, Ralph.

Karl