GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

GSM Subtypes

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

Let's suppose that I have a library of Symbols that are to be distributed to a number of GSM files, and are going to be called from a primary files as macros.

So, should these GSMs have the subtype "Macro" or "Drawing Symbol" ?
PS: they are not going to be placeable gsm

Thank you in advance
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Again I don't think it really matters what subtype you have when you call another object/macro.

Apart from propagating common parameters, the subtype also set different scripts - some may not have a 3D script for example.

The only time I have found subtypes to be important is for things like 'component' objects (doors panels, handles, etc.), where only certain subtypes can be used.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Moonlight wrote:
So, should these GSMs have the subtype "Macro" or "Drawing Symbol" ?

I don't think it really matters.
As far as I know the subtype only adds a particular set of non-editable (as in the parameter name) parameters automatically to the object.
So you choose the sub-type that gives you the best option of pre-set parameters that you want.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Barry Kelly

The only difference that I´m observing between "Macro" and "Drawing Symbol" are:
1. Macro have 3D script enabled
2. "Drawing Symbol" have some preset parameters.

So from the point of view of office standards, does your answer still apply ?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
The subtype... is the fastest way to have the common parameters propagated through the library... and basically that's all apart from the functionality (in some situations)... the common object can be a macro to any subtype though.

Piotr

PS. Sidenote: If You want to spread some parameters between objects and not wiling to use xml due to own preferences and not wiling to use subtypes: just make a copy of the part that has all of needed parameters...make it a subtype. Use it as a template to the other objects... then delete the subtype element.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Piotr Dobrowolski

Thanks, but this is not aim also.

My question is more in the direction that if case I have a un-"placeable" macro, that admits different subtypes, should it still be a "Macro" or another subtype that is applicable (from a the point of view of office standard) ?

I think that I will go with this:
1. If not placeable, then Macro
2. If placeble then what ever applies
Solution
Barry Kelly
Again I don't think it really matters what subtype you have when you call another object/macro.

Apart from propagating common parameters, the subtype also set different scripts - some may not have a 3D script for example.

The only time I have found subtypes to be important is for things like 'component' objects (doors panels, handles, etc.), where only certain subtypes can be used.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27