Developer forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with the API DevKit

stefan
Booster
I welcome this more open and friendly approach to independent developers, although I still have a few remarks: I started trying to write a simple plugin for ArchiCAD and all I can say is that it stopped at trying. The plugin is compiled but not recognised by ArchiCAD. And I can't seem to find out why.
I wonder if it would be possible to have a few ready-to-compile examples in the Devkit. The samples are not compiling either... and seem to be made for an older version of the DevKit. In fact, I think the resource compiler is crashing...

I'm sorry to say, but I made my first fully working AutoCAD ObjectARX-plugin after stepping through the included ARX-tutorials just half an hour after downloading the SDK. I can't say that about the ArchiCAD DevKit.

I really hope that I can get it at least to work... I wonder why there is no open forum on Developments for ArchiCAD. After all, it's what made AutoCAD and 3DStudio so popular.

-----------------------

Don't see my mail as completely negative. I see that Graphisoft is trying hard to open up the development for other interested parties (e.g. freelancers, academic research), but since I'm not a fully qualified programmer (I have an architectural degree, not a programming degree), it's hard to get started. It's not that I'm a total newbie, since I have written a few programs allready using C++, MFC and OpenGL, but at the moment it's not working either.
--- stefan boeykens --- architect-engineer-musician ---
ARCHICAD25/Revit2022/Rhino7/Unity2021/Solibri
MBP2019:i9Octo2.4GHz32GBVega20/BigSur+Win11
ARCHICAD-user since 1998
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to test the examples which are in the dev kit, but I don't understand how to compile them.
How do you get an .apx file since the examples?

Thanks a lot

Anonymous
Not applicable
i forgot to say that i'm using Visual Studio 2008, but I think i found the solution.

When I launch the project , a folder named "debug" is created and it contains the .apx file.

Is this file I have to import in archicad?

I tried to use the helloWorld and to import it in archicad but it still not work, i have a message in the Extension Infos Box which says that the file is already not an extension or it's not updated for using with this version of archicad.

I tried with archicad 9, 10 and 12.

(sorry for my poor english)

Karl Ottenstein
atila-diffusion wrote:
i forgot to say that i'm using Visual Studio 2008, but I think i found the solution.

When I launch the project , a folder named "debug" is created and it contains the .apx file.

Is this file I have to import in archicad?

I tried to use the helloWorld and to import it in archicad but it still not work, i have a message in the Extension Infos Box which says that the file is already not an extension or it's not updated for using with this version of archicad.

I tried with archicad 9, 10 and 12.

(sorry for my poor english)
Yes, the examples default to creating the apx in the debug folder. Different project settings result in a release version. Just move the apx into your add-ons folder and restart AC, or load the apx using Options > Add-On Manager.

The apx MUST be compiled with the matching dev kit for the version of AC which you want to test it with.

Further, to run sample apx - if you do not have a developer ID - you must run AC in Demo mode, not licensed mode.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.7, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I succeeded to build a Hello World Add-On thanks to your Blank Add On.
this one works on windows but not on Mac is that normal? Should I do something to solve it?

thanks a lot.

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
atila-diffusion wrote:
I succeeded to build a Hello World Add-On thanks to your Blank Add On. this one works on windows but not on Mac is that normal? Should I do something to solve it?
What did you use to build the Mac version?
Ralph Wessel BArch

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I used Visual Studio 2008 to build the apx. Do I have to build differently the mac version from the windows version?

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
atila-diffusion wrote:
I used Visual Studio 2008 to build the apx. Do I have to build differently the mac version from the windows version?
Yes, you need to use XCode on a Mac. Fortunately Apple provides a full development suite with the Mac OS (XCode, Interface Builder, etc), so it's quite easy to get started (provided you have a Mac).
Ralph Wessel BArch

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thank you,

so i can write mon plugin on Visual studio and at the end i'll will build it With visual and with XCode.

Thank a lot.

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
atila-diffusion wrote:
so i can write mon plugin on Visual studio and at the end i'll will build it With visual and with XCode.
Just one word of caution - if you want to compile on multiple platforms, you must stick to agreed standards. Microsoft is notorious for introducing subtle changes to standards (sometimes called "standards-poisoning") so that moving to another platform seems very difficult. It is very easy to produce cross-platform add-ons if you are aware of this issue from the start.
Ralph Wessel BArch

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK,

A last question.
I aim to create a plugin wich load an external hotlinks Module and past it on the scene. Do you think it's difficult. I've seen the "ModulData Manager" but I don't know if that's what I need, I also tried the example of "Module data manager" but it is written for API 6.1 and I don't succeed to rebuild it for archicad 12 :s

this API is very interesting but, on my opinion, not enough easy to use and to understand when we get started.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!