Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Getting Started with the API DevKit

stefan
Expert
I welcome this more open and friendly approach to independent developers, although I still have a few remarks: I started trying to write a simple plugin for Archicad and all I can say is that it stopped at trying. The plugin is compiled but not recognised by Archicad. And I can't seem to find out why.
I wonder if it would be possible to have a few ready-to-compile examples in the Devkit. The samples are not compiling either... and seem to be made for an older version of the DevKit. In fact, I think the resource compiler is crashing...

I'm sorry to say, but I made my first fully working AutoCAD ObjectARX-plugin after stepping through the included ARX-tutorials just half an hour after downloading the SDK. I can't say that about the Archicad DevKit.

I really hope that I can get it at least to work... I wonder why there is no open forum on Developments for Archicad. After all, it's what made AutoCAD and 3DStudio so popular.

-----------------------

Don't see my mail as completely negative. I see that Graphisoft is trying hard to open up the development for other interested parties (e.g. freelancers, academic research), but since I'm not a fully qualified programmer (I have an architectural degree, not a programming degree), it's hard to get started. It's not that I'm a total newbie, since I have written a few programs allready using C++, MFC and OpenGL, but at the moment it's not working either.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
29 REPLIES 29
TomWaltz
Participant
Your best bet would be to contact Graphisoft developer support and ask:
developer-support@graphisoft.hu
Tom Waltz
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
TAI wrote:
Must I make add-ons with Visual Basic 2008.net ?
I think that would be a very poor choice. It might not even be technically feasible. I recommend sticking to C/C++, either Visual C++ 2005 on Windows or XCode on the Mac.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see!
I have this idea, because GDL can't meet some demands at work,
And I am not programmer.

Thanks again
TAI
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
TAI wrote:
And I am not programmer.
There are many programmers on this forum, so just ask someone

Akos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I'm beginner in creating AC add-ons and I have a little problem. I understand that to run plug-ins on any other, than testing version of ArchiCAD I need my own developer ID. And that is my problem. I don't have developer ID, and when I compile sample add-on I can't run it even on testing version. All that I see is "This add-on cannot be validated. Please contact the distributor." in add-on manager. Could You help my someway?

Best regards

kshyshieck
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kshyshieck wrote:
I don't have developer ID, and when I compile sample add-on I can't run it even on testing version. All that I see is "This add-on cannot be validated. Please contact the distributor." in add-on manager. Could You help my someway
There are several possible reasons for this. Could you provide more detail:
  • - The ArchiCAD version
    - Your platform (mac/win and OS version)
    - The compiler & version
Double check that you have the correct devkit version and required compiler version. There have been several similar queries, so it may be worthwhile to look through the problems and solutions presented there too.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've searched in here for a solution, but I couldn't find it:/ Maybe because I'm newbie.
I'm using ArchiCAD 11 with API Dev Kit 11.21 on Windows XP with SP2. I'm using MS Visual Studio 2005. I've had few problems with compiling add-on, but I've found solution, but this one I couldn't find.
Thanks for your reply.

Best regards

kshyshieck
Karl Ottenstein
You say the 'testing version' of ArchiCAD. Without a Developer ID it is "Demo Mode" that will work with all add-ons. All of the add-ons in the dev kit compile normally and will work in Demo mode. When you start ArchiCAD, you should not have a keyplug plugged in - you will then be prompted for if you want to run in Demo mode.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kshyshieck wrote:
I've searched in here for a solution, but I couldn't find it:/ Maybe because I'm newbie.
I'm using ArchiCAD 11 with API Dev Kit 11.21 on Windows XP with SP2. I'm using MS Visual Studio 2005. I've had few problems with compiling add-on, but I've found solution, but this one I couldn't find.
Thanks for your reply.
The compiler may be the problem. The requirements for that devkit include VS 2003. It doesn't necessarily follow that it will run even if it will compile and link with another compiler. I use VS 2005 for AC12 development and VS 2003 for everything earlier, so I can't comment on whether other combinations will work or not.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have commercial version of ArchiCAD, so I don't have keyplug. I've requested serial number for 30 days testing version of AC so, correct me if I'm wrong, I have only "Demo Mode". As I understand, everything should work, but it doesn't.
I know that this dev kit requires VS 2003, but my friend used this one with VS 2005. Unfortunetly I'm unable to contact with him. I couldn't find VS 2003 and my internet connection prevents me from downloading ArchiCAD 12, but I'll try to download it at work tomorow and check AC 12 with VS 2005.

Best regards

kshyshieck