GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Macro - General Question

GDL Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi GDL Experts,

I am creating a Master GDL Object that calls in various Macro Objects to place them in the final assembly. Each Macro Object has various Parameters.

In the Master GDL Object, should every Parameter of the Macro Objects be listed out? For instance if each Macro Object has 15 parameters, then the master could easily have a lot of Parameters.

Many thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
GDL wrote:
I am creating a Master GDL Object that calls in various Macro Objects to place them in the final assembly.

When you say Master GDL object, do you just mean a parent GDL object?

A 'Master_GDL' object is a special object (or objects) that are used at the time the library is loaded to set certain values and attributes as Poldolsky mentioned.

The parent object does not need the same parameters as the macro unless you are returning them to the parent or calculating and setting them in the called (child) macro.
See this post discussing that ... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=74006&start=20#p330620

But usually they would have the same parameters as you would probably be passing on parameter values from the parent to the child when you CALL it.
It all depends on what you child macro is doing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Podolsky
Ace
GDL wrote:
Hi GDL Experts,

I am creating a Master GDL Object that calls in various Macro Objects to place them in the final assembly. Each Macro Object has various Parameters.

In the Master GDL Object, should every Parameter of the Macro Objects be listed out? For instance if each Macro Object has 15 parameters, then the master could easily have a lot of Parameters.

Many thanks in advance!
Master GDL Object is executing only when you are loading the library. So it's good for setting global variables (GLOB_USER) and fills and surfaces.
What the reason, that you want to call Master GDL from another macros?

During macro calls not necessary that calling object would contain parameters of called macro. It's important only if you want that editable hotspots from called macro would work correctly.
Solution
Barry Kelly
GDL wrote:
I am creating a Master GDL Object that calls in various Macro Objects to place them in the final assembly.

When you say Master GDL object, do you just mean a parent GDL object?

A 'Master_GDL' object is a special object (or objects) that are used at the time the library is loaded to set certain values and attributes as Poldolsky mentioned.

The parent object does not need the same parameters as the macro unless you are returning them to the parent or calculating and setting them in the called (child) macro.
See this post discussing that ... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=74006&start=20#p330620

But usually they would have the same parameters as you would probably be passing on parameter values from the parent to the child when you CALL it.
It all depends on what you child macro is doing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
GDL Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Poldolsky and Barry,

Thank you, that makes sense and I really appreciate your help! I had found that if I needed the hotspots to work that they only came through when the parameters were listed in the parent object (thank you for the definitions).

Best regards!