BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

North of a view in the layout

Mathias Jonathan
Advocate
Hi everybody,

Is there a way to get the north orientation of a view placed on a layout in GDL? It would be for a title object that show the north of the associate view.

Thank you in advance,

Mathias
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Csilla Mai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Mathias,
I asked other GRAPHISOFT developers and they confirmed: it is a limitation of the Layout. The "view_rotangle" returns the rotation of the current view, in the Drawing Title's case the rotation of the Layout, which will be 0. This does not only occur at Drawing Titles: if an object is placed on a view which is rotated at 2D plan and it is placed on Layout, its "view_rotation" value is also 0.
Unfortunately this value is only available in 2D plan.

Best Regards,
Csilla Mai
Library Platform, Engineering Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Csilla Mai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Mathias,

An Archicad project can have one Project North value, which is available in
GLOB_NORTH_DIR global variable. The view rotation is available in the "view_rotangle" request: n = REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation). I hope these data will help to fulfill your need for your object, if not, please let us know.

Best Regards,
Csilla Mai
GRAPHISOFT SE
Mathias Jonathan
Advocate
Csilla wrote:
Hi Mathias,

An Archicad project can have one Project North value, which is available in
GLOB_NORTH_DIR global variable. The view rotation is available in the "view_rotangle" request: n = REQUEST ("view_rotangle", "", angleViewRotation). I hope these data will help to fulfill your need for your object, if not, please let us know.

Best Regards,
Thank you for the answer.

I tried to use this request, but it doesn't work on the object when it is used as a title (It works when it is used as an object on the 2D plan).

Is it a limitation of a title object?
Solution
Csilla Mai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Mathias,
I asked other GRAPHISOFT developers and they confirmed: it is a limitation of the Layout. The "view_rotangle" returns the rotation of the current view, in the Drawing Title's case the rotation of the Layout, which will be 0. This does not only occur at Drawing Titles: if an object is placed on a view which is rotated at 2D plan and it is placed on Layout, its "view_rotation" value is also 0.
Unfortunately this value is only available in 2D plan.

Best Regards,
Csilla Mai
GRAPHISOFT SE
Learn and get certified!