GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Prevent Eyedropper / Syringe from changing a specific Parameter

scottjm
Expert

Hi,

I have a label, that has a parameter that I don't want to be modified when I use the eyedropper / syringe.  Is this possible?  I still want this parameter to be editable by the user though, so I can't force a default a value through VALUES or PARAMETERS.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the previous value of a parameter when it gets modified by the Eyedropper/Syringe and then push the old value back into the parameter.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
13 REPLIES 13

The syringe on the plan transfers various element settings, and treats the selected library part with all its parameters as one setting.

I agree it would be helpful to be able to control the library part and its parameters separately in the transfer exclusions.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Yeah, maybe we could have the possibility for a more granular way of syringing/injecting parameters in the future.

I know, it's not easy to implement. In the end you always have to think of all the scenarios and balance pros and cons.

E.g. there are 2 possible ways to handle this:

• The programmer chooses which parameters are never to be picked for one object (great, because they probably know best; but not so good if you have a malicious programmer :P)

• The user can set this as part of the element transfer settings (which is not easy due to the custom naming of parameters)

• Or actually both.

On a related side note: It would be great to have the ability to pick the settings from objects which belong to a system, too (where they are a sub-element like in stairs, CWs, railings, etc.) and inject them later! Especially with railings this would save some nerves 🙂

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Hi @Peter Baksa ,

What can we do to get this request onto the roadmap?

My feeling is that if the programmer sets a parameter as Unique, it should be not be overridden by the syringe tool.  The way it appears to currently function is not the expected behaviour.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

You can enter a wish or tell support about this problem.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest