GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Prevent (!) Line elimination

runxel
Legend
Hey folks, I have a TUBE{2} and need my lines to be NOT eliminated.
See this picture below, just two cubes (as dummy) to show the issue. If you stack them, they will join and I somehow need to prevent this from happening, since they need to be visually different.
The MASK parameter for the tube{2} is set to 1+2+16+32, which means, the line elimination flags are not set (especially looking at you, 1024!).
Yet, it still eliminates the line between the two objects.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
runxel
Legend
Oh I have to apologize by the way:
The example above is not TUBE{2} but a simple PRISM_. (I changed it later, that's why.)
Sorry!

So with Prisms it always eliminates lines, even without a BODY -1 being in place!

With TUBE{2} it works as advertised. It will eliminate lines if the mask flag has both 512 and 1024 bits set.

Sorry again for the confusion. I think I will just go back to a tube, even tho it's a bit more verbose than a prism, but at least the optics are like I want them 🙂
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
I don't think you can do this. But you can change your layer's intersection priority to 0.
runxel
Legend
vuego wrote:
I don't think you can do this. But you can change your layer's intersection priority to 0.
D%mn. That would be quite silly. Why then even have the line elimination flags, if they are useless?
Hopefully Péter will drop by and sharing some knowledge.

In the end I could just go very ugly and make them tubes a fraction of a mm smaller.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps I am missing something, but I think this line eliminating thing is related to the coplanar adjacent surfaces hard coded within AC.
Either you change the layer priority number or create a different surface to show the line.
I have mentioned this on a Line/Surface Merging Control wish.
GS did give some prompt feedback at the time (Thanks Gergely Hari!). It seems they are more for including this in the BM definition. Lets hope this for AC25.
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
If you use BODY - 1 at the end of a PRISM_ command, you can merge the surfaces of 2 PRISM_, which surfaces are not merged by default. Maybe there is something that works in the opposite direction.
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
runxel wrote:
In the end I could just go very ugly and make them tubes a fraction of a mm smaller.
Or use the Poly2 command to draw the lines. I have done this in similar circumstances.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
runxel
Legend
David wrote:
runxel wrote:
Or use the Poly2 command to draw the lines. I have done this in similar circumstances.
Hey David, you mean with POLY_ set to `model wire`?
Mhm, that could be workaround.
Still a very dumb way, tho...
Solution
runxel
Legend
Oh I have to apologize by the way:
The example above is not TUBE{2} but a simple PRISM_. (I changed it later, that's why.)
Sorry!

So with Prisms it always eliminates lines, even without a BODY -1 being in place!

With TUBE{2} it works as advertised. It will eliminate lines if the mask flag has both 512 and 1024 bits set.

Sorry again for the confusion. I think I will just go back to a tube, even tho it's a bit more verbose than a prism, but at least the optics are like I want them 🙂
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
runxel wrote:
Hey David, you mean with POLY_ set to `model wire`?
Yes, my mistake, I mixed up the 2D and 3D commands. Lin_ is also an option.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
A_ Smith
Expert
runxel wrote:
The example above is not TUBE{2} but a simple PRISM_.
well, idk maybe i'm missing something
pen 20 !  red contour
material 99 ! grey material

prism_ 5, 1, 

addz 1

prism_ 5, 1, 

del top
AC 22, 24 | Win 10

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!