Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Problem compiling ArchiCAD addon in VC++ .NET

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have just started learning how to create ArchiCAD addons using VC++ .NET. When I create a new ArchiCAD addon project and compile it it works fine. However when I try to add a new windows form, it fails to compile.

Also, if somebody can send me the simplest of code using windows form for an ArchiCAD add on it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dipan
7 REPLIES 7
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Dipan wrote:
Hi,
I have just started learning how to create ArchiCAD addons using VC++ .NET. When I create a new ArchiCAD addon project and compile it it works fine. However when I try to add a new windows form, it fails to compile.
Dipan
I assume you mean .NET WinForms? I can't comment on whether this should work or not, but I definitely recommend using the UI mechanisms provided by the ArchiCAD API. Otherwise you may find yourself having to do a lot of extra work integrating your UI with ArchiCAD (especially emulating special controls for attributes like pens etc).

Ralph
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you suggest how to work with the ArchiCAD API UIs?? Just tell me where and how to start.
TomWaltz
Participant
Your best bet would be to take a loot at the examples that come with the API. I think the Panel_Test example has the different menus and such.
Tom Waltz
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Dipan wrote:
Can you suggest how to work with the ArchiCAD API UIs?? Just tell me where and how to start.
Take a look at the documentation for the 'DialogManager'. This comrpehensively covers the dialog and control types available through the API. Alos, make sure you look at the GRC documentation, e.g. "GRC Specification of the Dialog Types". This is Graphisoft's primary mechanism for describing cross-platform resources.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I found out GRC ArchiCAD API UI. However when I tried to compile one of the existing examples of API Dev kit. The following error was show. I did not make any changes to the code, I just compiled it.

ACAP_STAT.lib(ACAPlib.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'api_c.pdb' was not found with '\Program Files\Graphisoft\API Development Kit 10.20\Support\Lib\Win\ACAP_STAT.lib' or at 'c:\Program Files\Graphisoft\API Development Kit 10.20\Examples\DG_Test\Debug\api_c.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info

The compiling was succesful but was incorrect as the Addon admin did not recognise it as a valid addon.
Andras Babos
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dipan wrote:

ACAP_STAT.lib(ACAPlib.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'api_c.pdb' was not found with '\Program Files\Graphisoft\API Development Kit 10.20\Support\Lib\Win\ACAP_STAT.lib' or at 'c:\Program Files\Graphisoft\API Development Kit 10.20\Examples\DG_Test\Debug\api_c.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info

That's all right. No need to worry about that warning, as it complains about a debug info file which is deliberately not supplied with the API DevKit. You don't need it anyway.
Dipan wrote:

The compiling was succesful but was incorrect as the Addon admin did not recognise it as a valid addon.

That's because you didn't supply a valid Developer ID and Add-On ID in the GRC files. (Please see the 'Required Resources' page in the API documentation.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I created the local ID using the add-on management tool with the developer ID I received from grahisoft. In spite of that I receive this error. Now my question is, "Is there any naming convention while creating the local ID?" i.e "Do I have to name the database (in add-on management) in a certain way while creating the local ID?"

"Andras Babos" wrote:
"Dipan Das" wrote:

That's all right. No need to worry about that warning, as it complains about a debug info file which is deliberately not supplied with the API DevKit. You don't need it anyway.
"Dipan Das" wrote:

That's because you didn't supply a valid Developer ID and Add-On ID in the GRC files. (Please see the 'Required Resources' page in the API documentation.)