GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Problem passing values from Variable Array to Parameter Array

Nader Belal
Mentor

Hi everyone,

This is not a noob question.

Basically, I have created a Library part that reads a text file containing values that will drive the modeling of my object.

It's structured that it reads a predefined column, extract the unique values of that column and puts it in an array, then repeats that operation a multiple of times until it reaches to the last predefined column that have all the final unique values (about 4-5 times in total).

The problem arises after the third 3 column to be read, it simple does not update its values.

And the funny part is, the Variable arrays that are being used to update the Parameter Arrays, do get the updates, but the Parameter arrays do not get updated.

How do you overcome that ??

PS: There are not nested ifs...then...endif that exceeds the 3 level.

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Nader Belal
Mentor

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank you all for your effort and suggestions.

Second, I would like to give you the only answer I was able to reach with my limited knowledge and tools that I can master at the moment, after a lot of testing different methods, trial and errors, head scratching, and head banging against the wall.

We can simply put it this way ...

GDL have a limited capacity for nested IF ... Then ... Endif

Whether we like it or not, it's like that, there is no other way round, in fact I believe I have tested the maximum limits, which are:

1. The safest option never go more than 3 levels of nested "If .. Then ... Endif". That if you want everything running smoothly and only if you value your peace of mind and sanity.
  2. If you must and need to go beyond 3 levels, because you have no other escape, you can go for 4 levels of nested "If .. Then ... Endif".
    But always have in mind that it only gives you 50% chance that it might not work.
  3. If you go for 5 levels, say to your mind ...

NaderBelal_0-1637777360073.jpeg

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

View solution in original post

Solution

I doubt this should be the final conclusion, let's investigate further.

Can you just read the file in one go, do all your modifications in memory, then write to parameters once?

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Solution

I have to admit you were right. I managed to re-create the problem with an array parameter. Without arrays the result is as expected.

We are inspecting this as a bug.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

25 REPLIES 25
runxel
Legend

Reading from a text file is always problematic, because GDL will try to guess the type, thus leading to very nasty errors (think of a room schedule with the room numbers; you'd want e.g. "1.2345" to be text, not a number).

So I've mostly given up reading from text files, since it is so unreliable and impossible to control.

Also GDL arrays don't like to have mixed type in them.

If the first item in an array is text, the rest will be text, if the first is a number, the rest will be, too.

So my guess is: Your text file has different types as content which trips up Archicad.

Use XML instead.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I was aware of that, so I have seperated the operation in multiple simple ones, and it will not continue if the read values doesn't correspond to the parameter type (ie: text for text parameters, numeric for numeric parameters)

@runxel 

Now I have a very strange behaviour

The 4 th parameter gets updated, but it only shows the values of the previous selection operation, not the updated one 😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕 ???!!!!!*#

Nader Belal
Mentor

Update:

I believe that somehow I'm near to the cause of my problems in GDL, it have to do with if...then..endif, number of Parameter Script execution and Branching decisions at the binary level not GDL

Nader Belal
Mentor

Last Update:

I broke the GDL .... no seriously I really broke it.

Proof:
I have created an array variable ... filled it with string (after initiation)

Passed the values to corresponding parameter arrays in memory

Implemented change to the Parameters using Parameters Param=Variable

used Values{2} to get the results ... and bam The GDL editor refused it, saying that the String Parameter Array is a numeric Paramaeter

GzC3eXeg7g2yhX9hPuKgigO4yA0E-_kN_XTFbMlZF4k.jpg

Try to set the array type prior to load (something[1]="" or something[1]=0) - it may help because avoids the "guessing" part.

Sometimes I try to lad the all as text and then further phrase....(I have to relay on some database export which is set to export as text so I have extra work..and I deal with 6000x60 or something csv)

Already done that

I had stepped on something - maybe it is also Your case:

My scheme was to load data in macro which was called using returned_parameters, and when I had it in master script the call did not work. I had to move part of the script to the parameter script and it started to work as a charm.

Nope