Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Project Dimension settings idea

TomWaltz
Participant
B) B) Allow different rounding accuracy levels based on viewset Although, I also just considered blanketly locking rounding at 1/16"
B) Ideallly, I'd like dimension rounding to act like a Display Option. As I have come to understand Archicad dimension preferences, that's what rounding is anyway. Although, I also just considered blanketly locking rounding at 1/16" (which is what most of our staff wants anyway). I do see the value in changing rounding to 1/8" for plans, though (as long as people make sure their dimensions still add up!!)
This definitely relates to user preferences, but is one that probably should be variable within the project.

It would be nice if dimensions could display rounded to the nearest 1/4" in plan, but nearest 1/16" in detail views. Ideally, this rounding value would be tied to the Viewsets, so that if a user changes from a Plan View to a Detail View, the dimension rounding changes, just like the layer combination, scale, and display options do.

Similarly, the area settings sometimes want to be VERY accurate, going to the nearest .1 foot. Other times, we can get away with rounding to the nearest square foot. Ideally, this would be variable by View, not globally set in the project.

Though it is found under the "Preferences" tabs, I really want to find a way to make the dimension/area settings act more like Display Options.

The trick is getting some method of changing this on the fly, with the change of current View. (Notification Manager had promise, but does not seem to have the right detection ability)
Tom Waltz
3 REPLIES 3
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
With regards to the dimensions, various methods have been debated, most recently here and I have thought about it quite a bit. My preferred method is to define standards in prefs like we do now (they need to be portable of course). Then in the dimension tool the standard is chosen by pull-down. This is by far the simplest technique and allows different standards within the same view. Since the dimension strings themselves are, in my experience, nearly always different for different views anyway, why not just have the setting apply to the individual dimension string instead of setting up a system that changes placed strings, which to my mind is dangerous.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
TomWaltz
Participant
why not just have the setting apply to the individual dimension string instead of setting up a system that changes placed strings, which to my mind is dangerous
That's kind of the way dimension preferences work NOW anyway, and this discussion is about using the API to modify what we have now. What you are proposing may not even be possible using the Developer's Kit, and is a wishlist item for Graphisoft.

Remember, this is a 3rd Party Developer thread, not a Graphisoft wishlist one.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
On my practice, our local standards demands cm on site plan and mm on floor plan. So i decide to write a simple addon that is doing this:
1) changes dimension style on choosen layer (mm, m, cm)
2) marks custom measurements
3) changes custom to measured

Also, I want to add notifaication, so adoon would change dimensioning style on the choosen layer automaiticly.

Because this feature is not widely used in projects, I suggest my approach suitable.