Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.
SOLVED!

Python Status in Archicad

poco2013
Mentor

I wondering what the status of the Python API is in Archicad. I know that another update has been promised but When??

in the mean time -- to demonstrate possible automation techniques, I made up a little Construction Sequence video using Python and the API. The files are posted on a GitHub repository listed in the Video description

Construction Sequence 

This one is just for fun!!

Anybody have a update on Python Development? Still seems very limited? This is one area where we need user input. Originally, there was a Beta site and a lot of problems were worked out there, but that seemed to die out --- Perhaps Graphisoft isn't interested in our opinions or expertise anymore in this area?

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Poco,

Python API is continuously improving. You're right the improvements are not coming as fast as we wish, but please be patient.

In Archicad 25 the attribute commands are new (GetAttributesByType and the type specific commands), and many properties became available via JSON/Python also. For example the dynamic enum typed built-in properties (like Structural Function, Position and Renovation Status) were not available in AC24, but from AC25 you can get and set them. Oh and do not forget that you can register JSON commands from an Add-On and those will be available from Python too.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Poco,

Python API is continuously improving. You're right the improvements are not coming as fast as we wish, but please be patient.

In Archicad 25 the attribute commands are new (GetAttributesByType and the type specific commands), and many properties became available via JSON/Python also. For example the dynamic enum typed built-in properties (like Structural Function, Position and Renovation Status) were not available in AC24, but from AC25 you can get and set them. Oh and do not forget that you can register JSON commands from an Add-On and those will be available from Python too.

@Tibor Lorantfy wrote:

[...] Oh and do not forget that you can register JSON commands from an Add-On and those will be available from Python too.

could you please elaborate this a little bit? I assume the JSON commands must be deliberately implemented in any Add-On, so its not aplicable to existing Add-Ons, right? 

thanks