GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

REQUEST ("Home_story"...) returns incorrect value

Bruce
Expert
I have a custom label (not marker) for use on our windows. Part of the content is the home story, which uses:
n = REQUEST ("Home_story", "", index, story_name)
to get the info.

This works perfectly in plan, but in elevation it will always return story 0 as the value. The odd thing is that I can get the correct value with Autotext either reading the General Parameter, or a Property with the expression of "Home Story Name". This tells me the window will gather the correct information in elevation, but the GDL REQUEST command doesn't work properly.

I have also tried REQUEST("Home_story_of_opening",...) with the same results. I've tried this in v22 and v23 (but not v24 yet).

Any clues??
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
9 REPLIES 9
Bruce
Expert
Anyone? Anyone?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
It does not work for roof windows...unfortunately(I hope it did - I have a huge roof windows GDL project ongoing), but I successfully implemented it in roof window markers.
I made a slope marker as a roof window marker - with the functionality to show not show on stories.
Labels though are not sensitive to this request.

Piotr
Bruce
Expert
I solved it by creating a property that will retrieve the home storey of the window, then have the label interrogate that property. A bit of a hack, but it works.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Bruce,

I sent your question to the developers, and here is what I was told:

This request works in elevation only if it is used in the 3D script of a library part placed on the floor plan. For Door/Window labels there is an other request "Home_story_of_opening"

Please let me know if this helps you with the issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Bruce
Expert
Thanks Minh. You will see in my first post that I also tried "Home_story_of_opening" with similar results, i.e. it will just return the 0 story value.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Bruce,

Please find the PLA below. Our developers tested it with both AC23 and 24, and it worked correctly. Could you share with us a PLA sample with the label included for further checking?

https://graphisoft.sharefile.com/d-s87a745395f64c728

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Bruce
Expert
Hi Minh,

Thanks for that. I must have only tested "Home_story" in 23, not "Home_story_of_opening", as that clearly works in 23. However, a couple of points regarding "Home_story_of_opening":

1. This doesn't work in 22 (our project is in 22 and isn't going to be migrated...so I have used a property, which works).
2. This doesn't return negative stories. Negative stories are returned as 0 (I haven't tested this in 24, only 23).

Thanks again.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the comment! I believe they are both defects, however, AC22 will not receive any further updates, therefore the chance for porting the fix back to AC22 is very small, unfortunately

Regarding negative story, I entered it as a defect in our database (please refer to it as DEF-1883). Hopefully it will not be too difficult to implement a fix!

Thank you once again for your big help and for spotting the defects! Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Bruce
Expert
Thanks Minh - appreciated.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --