GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Replacing same unpacked container folder makes custom object missing

jc4d
Expert

Hello,

I'm having a big problem when unpacking a lcf object and replacing the old one with the new one. I'll try to explain in detail.

- I have a file with my custom gdl object which I export by using the Library Manager into an empty folder.

- Save the archciad file and close Archicad.

- Open a new empty Archicad instance and load that folder.

- I create a container of that loaded folder that is in the "Libraries in Project".

- Open another new Archicad instance and extract the container replacing the saved one.

- When I open the saved file the custom object is missing although in that folder the object's name is the same.

This has happened with all the customs objects that I have created is not tied to one file only.

Juan

8 REPLIES 8
jc4d
Expert

I have tried to check the GDL code and I couldn't find anything weird, maybe I'm missing some steps that is causing this behaviour. 🤔

Try changing the name of the new saved object, I think Archicad becomes confused if two objects have the same name.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Thank you for the suggestion, sadly the issue I see is if I share the object with the coworkers and then I need to update the object, everyone will need to delete the old one and load the new one.

It should work automatically, when ac is open the new updated object "replace" the old one.

I hope it makes sense 🙂

Lingwisyer
Guru

- I create a container of that loaded folder that is in the "Libraries in Project".

- Open another new Archicad instance and extract the container replacing the saved one.

I do not get what you are doing here? Create a container? As in turning your folder with your custom object into a .lcf? You are then extracting the .lfc into another file? New instance with the old object? Was the old object in your embedded library? Just delete the embedded object and reload your new library?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
jc4d
Expert

Create a container? As in turning your folder with your custom object into a .lcf?

- If I have create a GDL object with custom ui and macros I need to pack a container of my object, or am I wrong?

As far as I know I cannot just go into the Embedded Library and create a .lcf of it from there.

There seems to be a problem when replacing the lcf file, if I replace the lcf that is loaded into AC with a new updated lcf (using same names eveywhere) the new updated object is ignored.

Lingwisyer
Guru

You do not have to use a .lfc. Objects will be read just fine from a folder, but the .lfc will make management easier, primarily that of macros, if you are sharing the object as it makes it harder to forget to load something. I have not bothered dealing with .lfc as it makes updating objects a pain, and they are just for internal use anyway and few use custom macros.

I usually just work from a folder of WIP objects, then when I am happy with one, I will copy it to a generic or project object folder that will just need to be reloaded to update any existing placed objects.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Libary parts are identified by a GUID, not name: https://gdl.Graphisoft.com/gdl-style-guide/library-part-format

I tried to follow your workflow, the GUID didn't change, and I didn't get a missing object.

Using Save As in the GDL editor changes the GUID. Is it possible you made a duplicate after placing the old one in the file? Is it possible that the object is not missing, just some macro it is using?

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
jc4d
Expert

Sorry for the late reply. I understand now, thank you for the suggestions, I will try it 🙂

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!