BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Revit API

TomWaltz
Participant
I just found out that Revit 8 now has an API for writing add-ons.... I cannot help but think this could mean an great benefit for them, since until now there was no possibilty to create add-ons... although they are charging $1200 minimum, so it may not have a lot of takers right away!

I'm just curious to see how extensive their developer access is.
Tom Waltz
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I just found out that Revit 8 now has an API for writing add-ons.... I cannot help but think this could mean an great benefit for them, since until now there was no possibilty to create add-ons... although they are charging $1200 minimum, so it may not have a lot of takers right away!

I'm just curious to see how extensive their developer access is.
Well the api is technically Free with Revit, it's the support via the Autodesk Development Network that'll cost ya 😉

People have been do some pretty neat stuff with so far, like a bridge between Revit and Vray Standalone, nothing is publically availible yet however.
TomWaltz
Participant
czoog wrote:
Well the api is technically Free with Revit, it's the support via the Autodesk Development Network that'll cost ya 😉

People have been do some pretty neat stuff with so far, like a bridge between Revit and Vray Standalone, nothing is publically availible yet however.
Ah, so if you can figure it out on your own, it's free. Kind of like the Archicad API then!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
czoog wrote:

Ah, so if you can figure it out on your own, it's free. Kind of like the Archicad API then!

Exactly! It comes with a help file that explains the parameters, ect, but that's it.
It's a .Net framework, so you can program in bunch of different languages (C, C++, VB, etc)
TomWaltz
Participant
czoog wrote:
Exactly! It comes with a help file that explains the parameters, ect, but that's it.
It's a .Net framework, so you can program in bunch of different languages (C, C++, VB, etc)
That's kind of cool (though I'm more of a Mac XCode guy, I can limp around in VS.Net as well).

One question though: Does the Revit API give full access to program settings & commands? Could a developer call a command and feed it parameters, or change environmental settings?

I guess I'd have to get a Revit license to really play with it, huh? That's a bit out of my price range on "curiosity" !!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
czoog wrote:
That's kind of cool (though I'm more of a Mac XCode guy, I can limp around in VS.Net as well).

One question though: Does the Revit API give full access to program settings & commands? Could a developer call a command and feed it parameters, or change environmental settings?

I guess I'd have to get a Revit license to really play with it, huh? That's a bit out of my price range on "curiosity" !!
No, There isn't full acess yet, but with each release they are opening more and more of the program up to the api. The api comes with the trial download and I don't think it times out. Revit itself will timeout after 30days in trial mode, but will run indefinetly in demo mode (can do everything but save) You can download Revit Building 8.1 HERE and Revit Structure 2.0 HERE

tinker away!
Learn and get certified!