GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Section / Elevation vertical limits

Bruce
Expert

Is there a way in GDL to find out if the section / elevation is infinite or limited in vertical range, and if limited, what those limits are?

I would imagine something like:

n = REQUEST("Elevation Vertical Range", limitedOnOff, UpperLimit, LowerLimit)

This command doesn't exist, but this hopefully demonstrates what information I'm trying to extract.

This is for use in a story marker that automatically dimensions the distance between stories.  

Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly

I don't think there is a command to find the section height limits.

But I don't think it matters anyway.

If your storey markers exceed the vertical range, they won't be seen anyway will they?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I do this with the exact info you can extract using the code from the elevator object.

Super easy I swear.

ryejuan
Advisor

if you select your section / elevation markers you can activate them by simply selecting the horizontal range or vertical range. if you want distance for horizontal range you measure on plan while vertical range you can directly input. image below for your reference. 😎

ryejuan_0-1647932160225.png

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

In GDL.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Bruce
Expert

@Barry Kelly : it's not the story marker per se that I'm trying to control, it's the story-to-story dimension.  Given it runs when the story marker does, we get this leftover dimension - see image.  I can control this with a user-set limiting of stories, but that's another non-automated setting.  I'd like to better control that if I could.

@SenecaDesignLLC:  Thanks for that.  I've looked through all the code on the elevator part, and it doesn't have anything that I could find that returned vertical limits of the current elevation / section view. 

@ryejuan: Thanks, but I'm after a GDL solution.

Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb

Ahh I'm with you now, I did not fully understand your goal.

not sure what's happening on your end but haven't encountered this when doing a dimension on storey levels. 🤔

ArchiCAD 9 onwards

But are you adding the dimensions manually yourself?

I think Bruce is building the dimensions into his markers from the way his post reads.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

i see, i understand now. he created his own markers that will automate dimensions instead of him manually doing it. something similar to the way it does with the grid lines. interesting saves you a lot of time. like a toggle that will turn on distance dims and levels. 😁 i hope Graphisoft will incorporate that in future versions. 😁

ArchiCAD 9 onwards