BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Setting IFC Data to a Library Part

gehairing
Participant
Hello the Forum

In another post i have related my difficulty to get an API_Guid for a Library Part. My problem is not resolved but here i'll ask a question for the same subject in a different manner. 😉

I download a LibraryPart from a web server.
Once downloaded i set a serie of parameter in this library part. Each time the user place the LibPart object in the model, the instance has all the parameters i've added. That works fine.

I want also to set a serie of IFC parameters in this Library part. I don't know how to do this (because i can't get an API_Guid for the LibPart)

What i can do is :
- Download the LibPart,
- Wait until user places an instance of it in the model by using callback events and detect the right object,
- Apply the IFC data to the instance of the LibPart.

But this is not correct for me 😉
Because the next time the user will insert the same LibPart the IFC Data will not be attached to the new instance of the LibPart.

My question is : Is it possible to set IFC data in an Library Part with the API ?
(it is possible to do it in the user interface)
5 REPLIES 5
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
gehairing wrote:
My question is : Is it possible to set IFC data in an Library Part with the API ?
No, that isn't possible. IFC properties can be attached to instances of an object placed in the floor plan through the API, but not to the library part itself. Also, the library part unique ID is not a single guid like an element – it is more like a pair of guids for the part and it's versioning.

You can map IFC properties and values to elements or element data using ARCHICAD's IFC configuration, but I'm not sure an add-on could change that on the fly when new library parts are downloaded.
Ralph Wessel BArch
gehairing
Participant
Hi Ralph,

Again i have to thank you for your answer
I am very happy that someone experienced like you gives answers here.
(Especially because nobody of the GS team gives answsers...i am waiting for a short answer to a few eMails i wrote...months ago 😉 ).

It's a shame we cannot set the IFC Properties on the definition of the object. Especially because in the user interface we can do it.

So for the moment i do the trick i described in my previous message.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
gehairing wrote:
(Especially because nobody of the GS team gives answers.
Because this is a User forum. User are giving answers to users. Users helping each other out.
Sometimes people from Graphisoft do chime in, but that is not to be expected. They are busy developing the best architectural BIM application for us.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
gehairing
Participant
Hi Laszlo,

Yes, I can understand what you mean for the forum. It is better to let "users help users" in priority. But when you see posts with no answers for days/weeks i would find it smart that some of the dev team gives a quick answer from time to time. Of course, I don't speak only about my posts 😉

Anyway...i'll not change this

I do very few dev's with Archicad API. I work mostly for the Revit, 3DSMax, SKP and Rhino APIs where i have no problems because i am used to since years.
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
gehairing wrote:
Hi Laszlo,

Yes, I can understand what you mean for the forum. It is better to let "users help users" in priority. But when you see posts with no answers for days/weeks i would find it smart that some of the dev team gives a quick answer from time to time. Of course, I don't speak only about my posts 😉

Anyway...i'll not change this

I do very few dev's with Archicad API. I work mostly for the Revit, 3DSMax, SKP and Rhino APIs where i have no problems because i am used to since years.
True, it's very hectic at the moment, and I'm sorry . And kudos to Master Ralph for helping out

BTW, I'm working on a new site where we can get most of the API developer communication into one channel, and also provide up-to-date documentation, tips&tricks and the like. So expect some news around the ARCHICAD 20 release...

Ákos
Learn and get certified!