GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Slab-like GDL or Param-O object for city planning?

Kaj_AL
Booster
Hi!

I'm working on a template for city planning and am currently looking for ways to easily mimic buildings in an early stage. Right now I'm using composite slabs with every story a different material, the materials being whatever functions the building has (residence, office, etc.). This doesn't feel optimal as the number of composites quickly become an unmanageable amount, and they're not quite as "smart" as I would like them to be.

So, my question is, is there anyway to build an object that behaves in a similar manner to a slab when it comes to modeling (new nodes with a click, easy to manipulate), or does any one have any other great ideas on how to do this?

Kind regards
Kaj
Archicad 24-27 SWE
Dell Precision 5560, Windows 11 Pro
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz
21 REPLIES 21
Podolsky
Ace
You can mimic behaviour of slab in GDL object as close as possible with various hotspot tricks. It's not going to be the same, but can be something quite similar. Another option - to have accessory object, connected to polyline - in this case you can draw polyline and after just extract geometry into your GDL object (that will follow future changes of linked polyline).

In any case custom GDL object is very good solution. You just need to invest your time on writing GDL code - it depends on how good you with code writing and your creativity. In best scenario it can take two-three days of coding needed tool. But if you are slow and your programming skills are very limited - you can stack for month making this tool.
Kaj_AL
Booster
Hi!

Thanks for your quick answer!

The polyline option seems like a good solution, that probably will fit colleagues usede to 2D-drawing as well!

I am very new to GDL (I have browsed some old GDL cookbook and done a few exercises but that's it), but don't mind learning whilst using the composite slab workaround for now.

Do you know were I can find some references or examples on what needs to be done and how to do it?

Kind regards
Kaj
Archicad 24-27 SWE
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi Kaj.AL,

Using the Accessories add-on is described here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/64527
The necessary library is in the Goodies package.

Select a subtype for your object from the add-on (eg. Model Element / Building Element / Covering / Accessory / Slab (Accessory)). Data will be set by the add-on in the parameters under gs_accessory_addon in the parameter list.
Read the code of "Plain Ceiling" or "Footing 2" to see how to use them.
Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest
Kaj_AL
Booster
Thanks Peter, I'll check it out and see if I can put the pieces together!
Archicad 24-27 SWE
Kaj_AL
Booster

Hi again!

I've slowly managed to put together a simple object that works as an add-on for slabs. Now I'm stumped on how to continue. What I would like to do is calculate stuff based on my object, and use these calculations in schedules or lists. For example I would like to calculate the area and volume, and from those values calculate an average number of apartments and so forth.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this?

Link to object (made in Archicad 25): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H1zIMQw84KaneYf5NkKRK1HkpV9ZGD5M/view?usp=sharing

Kind regards

Kaj

Archicad 24-27 SWE
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Probably too late to suggest now, but this does sound like something that the grasshopper connection would be perfectly suited to do. A.k.a. parametric design.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Hi!

It's never too late. I've been on the fence whether to get Grasshopper (or recommend the office to get it), but I've downloaded a trial now, so we'll se how it goes. Any clues on how to work it out in Grasshopper, or will it be self-explanatory once I start to get in to it?

Kind regards

Kaj

Archicad 24-27 SWE

No, but your original case description sounded like it could use a paremetric approach and from what I've seen on youtube clips in the past, you can basically let grasshopper create Archicad 3D elements for you.

You might even be able to drive creation of existing buildings by combining GIS data and government vector data for site plans.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Kaj_AL
Booster

Thanks Erwin!

Especially the combining of GIS data and the local vector data with Grasshopper could cut our work time a lot! Will try it out when I get the chance!

However, for what I'm doing now I think a simple Archicad object should be enough, and working with Grasshopper might be to complicated for these types of early stages if it's to be implemented at the office.

So, I have two more open questions:

1. How do I use the Properties Script to get

a. The area of either my object or the slab upon which it is based?

b. The total volume of it?

I figure it's maybe using REQUEST or built-in properties, but I can't figure out how to use them properly?

2. How would you go about to create setbacks on this type of building object?

Thank you

/Kaj

Archicad 24-27 SWE