BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

The file is an outdated Add-On that cannot be used with this

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I develop add-ons for ArchiCad.
I'm using ArchiCad 18 and API Development Kit 18.3006 with Visual Studio 2010 for development.

Only today I get an error when I want to add my add-on from Add-on Manager. Before it was working fine.

Here is the error message
The file is an outdated Add-On that cannot be used with this

Please give me an advice.
3 REPLIES 3
ReignBough
Enthusiast
based on my experience, this can be caused by (but not limited to):

* The add-on is for lower version of ArchiCAD.
* The add-on was built with error/s.
* Library file/s (DLL/s) was/were not found on their respective directories.
~ReignBough~
ARCHICAD 26 INT (from AC18)
Windows 11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7, 3.20GHz, 32.0GB RAM, 64-bit OS
mdelanno
Newcomer
ReignBough wrote:
* The add-on is for lower version of ArchiCAD.
or upper...

To check the third point, download and install Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/)

Open your APX, go to Options, Configure Module Search Order... Browse to the ArchiCAD install directory (C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ArchiCAD xx) and click Add directory, then click on OK. When DW ask you if you want to refresh, answer by Yes. You should then have no module load errors (except for some special DLL like API-MS-WIN-*.DLL or DCOMP.DLL).

To check the first point, you can use the DUMPBIN utility. Dump the imports of your APX, go to the GSRoot.dll section and note the hint before one of the imported functions (?DBPrintf@@YAXPEBDZZ for example; the hint is 911 for ArchiCAD 18 ). Then dump the export of GSROOT.dll, retrieve the ?DBPrintf@@YAXPEBDZZ function and check if the hint column matches. If not, it's because you have built your APX with the wrong version of the DevKit.

You can also use DW. Select GSROOT.dll in the tree, then select the ?DBPrintf@@YAXPEBDZZ in the list of exported functions. Then, in the contextual menu, choose Highlight Matching Import Function. If the hints are different, then the APX is not build for the installed ArchiCAD.
gehairing
Participant
It also happens when you use an Addon identifier that is already used for another addon.

I had this problem yesterday 😉
Learn and get certified!