BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Turn layers on/off in real time?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Is it possible you clever developers? I figure a box with the layer list where one could turn on/off layers in real time so that the model view updates accordingly. Purpose is to show different alternatives very easily and quickly.
Yes or No?
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
11 REPLIES 11
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm sure you could write an add-on to do so.
Tom Waltz
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
TomWaltz wrote:
I'm sure you could write an add-on to do so.
You=someone... I will attend GDL seminars at Nottingham this fall so that's a beginning at least.
Thank you for the encouragement!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
TomWaltz
Participant
GDL is a great method of developing in Archicad.

Just keep in mind you will need to learn to program in C and/or C++ to write the type of add-on you are asking about.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Let's see. You think that want a box to directly switch layers to show design alternatives.

Except you really need to have a quick switch between later SETS, because anyone who actually produces a building DESIGN knows that multiple layers is better than one. And we sort of already have this in the layer sets list buried at the third level beneath the document menu dropdown. Some planning of the layer sets gets you a straight-forward presentation set....

What if, using the customizing tools already present in ArchiCAD, and without any gobbledigook programming, we could get a layer set list to appear in the menu list bar at the top of the screen? Would that do it? [This is a great way to promote anything that can't be shortcut any other way]

Using the Menus options under Work Environment we can create this list. See the attached. Yes, it does need to be pulled down, but it is very direct.

Likewise, if you can at all organize your design alternatives, and save the views, there are many view options in the organizer/ navigator listings. So there they are, right next to the drawing layout.....

Or have I missed the point?
layer set dialog.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And here I am yammering on about layer sets when you want to switch individual layers on and off, but I found a "Quick Options" thingy that also lets you switch layer sets quickly.

if not off-topic, let's call it half-topic.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's already there, in AC9 anyway, just one more step than yours, Dwight.

Options>Layer Combinations>
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm not saying that it is new, just a way to get close to what the colleague needed as an Add-on.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
but I found a "Quick Options" thingy that also lets you switch layer sets quickly
Yep - Quick Options (in AC10) is the closest thing so far. At least you can switch between layer combos. It's a good idea IMHO to always have at least one Modeling & Drafting layer combo, not to assign to a view, but just to use when modeling and drafting.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Yep - Quick Options (in AC10) is the closest thing so far. At least you can switch between layer combos. It's a good idea IMHO to always have at least one Modeling & Drafting layer combo, not to assign to a view, but just to use when modeling and drafting.
i have the 'show/hide quick options palette' assigned to a single key shortcut (Q), which pops it up right in the middle of the screen and closes it again when i'm done . . . works well.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!