GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

What do you guys write gsm/gdl scripts on?

Jack D
Booster

Hello!

I'm pretty new to writing gsm and gdl stuff and I'm trying my hands on it to help out in the firm. The guy who does the scripting, writes it directly on Archicad. Which kinda baffles me. No intellisense, no syntax highlighting, no code snippets. It's like I've regressed back to 1990s. 

So I've found an add-on on vscode but it doesn't read gsm and seems pretty buggy from the github documentation. I'm wondering (and kinda certain), if someone has created an addon for stuff like sublime, notepad ++ or vs 2022, to easily script and debug these kind of files. That said I'm also wondering what do you guys use and how do you go about it.

Side note, I'm more familiar with JS, and python for web dev... hence why I'm asking about these text editors and IDE.

thanks and I hope there's a dev friendlier way of scripting gsm/gdl stuff. 

28 REPLIES 28
Lingwisyer
Guru

There is a Sublime add-on, but just like the VSCode one it does not read the actual file so you end up needing to continuously copy and paste to debug... So after a while, like your colleague, I just went back to the lacking AC editor... 

There have been wishing regarding an update to the IDE for a great many years... 

One of the GS people back in 2019, who appears to have not migrated to this "new" forum, mentioned that an update to the IDE was in the works.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

interesting... I'm impressed no-one really made a big deal about this. especially that gdl is this old.

Not going to lie, I'm getting an opinion no-one cares about gdl or gdl isn't used that often to warrant some productivity features.

Like it's not that bad if it's a simple chair or table objects but once you start going into more complex structures, some ease of life things would be great. 

Lingwisyer
Guru

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Developer-forum/GDL-Syntax-Highlight-for-VSCode/m-p/331583/highl...

Half a step forward?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

yeah hopefully! I'd rather stay within Archicad environment like the commenter said... unless they made something where you can easily preview what you're making on vscode.

But **beep** man... this should have been priority long time ago. like flash back in the days had some level of syntax highlighting. oh well! I guess we'll just have to wait.

I use gdl for everything. Just about.

My own cabinets, windows, doors, wall coverings, wall framing, appliances, casing and baseboard, custom railing objects, and the list goes on.

if am not mistaken instead of updating it they came out with PARAM-O

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

Graphisoft love monochrome, why would they want to add highlighting that makes things easier to read 🙄

The resources wasted on param-o could have been used to turn the gdl interface into something that users wanted.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

yeah, I feel that way too. I mean nothing wrong with showcasing new features but I think it is much better to improve the current set of tools they got. Don't get me started with the schedules. 😅

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

I suppose you keep your stuff as a competitive advantage but if it's possible I think it would be interesting with a webinar or a youtube displaying the possibilities with your library strategy.

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.