Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.
SOLVED!

When can I use the graphisoft python plugin?

leilei
Enthusiast
Hello,
Does anyone know this question? I want to know when I can use graphisoft python plugin.Probably which version can use it? AC23 or AC24...
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
Akos wrote:
Could you please post a sample Python script that achieves what you need in another software? I'm curious how much of that is available in our Python interface at the moment.
Personally, I like the concept of Python in AllPlan. It works similarly to GDL but it seems more integrated and easier to work with. I think the most problematic thing about GDL is less readable and harder to learn so not many people actually use it.

Additionally scripting capacity would be handy. Managing data like Properties for example. There is a certain situation when we need to push data from GDL to Properties with the specific addon. But It could be done with the simple script.

Also, Expression in Properties is a Super useful feature. But proposed syntax and editor is hard to maintain if you try to do more complex stuff. The small script in here will be a relief.

I wouldn't mind any other language with clear and easy syntax. It's just a matter of efficiency. When you do projects with the tight deadline you just don't have time to develop elaborated C++ addon... just a few simple lines of codes to do some operations automatically. That's why is very important.

If it's possible I would suggest bringing some interested people to test/further develop such a solution.
Tibor Lorantfy
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
poco2013 wrote:
Is there going to be a Beta Site that we can sign up for?
Yes, we are already working on the preparations of the Beta Program for the Python API. I hope you will join and help us with your feedbacks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tibor wrote:

Beta Program for the Python API
That's Great news. Looking forward to some more info.
leilei
Enthusiast
Hi,
This a good news,
Can I know the main function list of this PYTHON API?
Nader Belal
Mentor
Finally!

For ArchiCAD Python API we would need this:
1- Seamless integration between ACPython (Python & ArchiCAD)*
2- The ability to import Python libraries, for Python World is large and full of modules and libraries.
3- Add GDL commands in Python, that way we can program GDL libraries as if they were written in Python or vise versa

* In Python few things may change depending on the OS, just mention it as a note
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
stefan
Expert
I'm not a huge fan of Python, but it it allows access to the SDK, I'd say: go for it.

The true marvel would be to automate countless little things and have some interaction between the ARCHICAD software, the ARCHICAD project database and the ARCHICAD Library Objects. Right now, the library objects are using GDL (powerful features using a cumbersome language and code editor), but they live in isolation. Having even more powerful objects, which may react more to other objects would give a lot of power.

And if you manage to also give us more means to manage the "Information" in our models, all the better. Right now, what we need to do is spread over so many different places: GDL code, Expressions in properties, IFC mappings, Classification and Property Manager, Attributes, Schedules, ... (and apparently, I'm not even talking about geometry here).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
countless little things and have some interaction between the ARCHICAD software, the ARCHICAD project database and the ARCHICAD Library Objects.
Very good sumarizaion of why scripting lnaguage is so important.

I have posted volume of our longest definition so far here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62808

This couldbe done by nice decent script

Also Stefan mentioned "data isolation". Which really limits some posiibilities. It is very supprising for example that there is no acces to GLD value in expresions.

Acctualy most things we do as addons are small scripts wich are pushing data around. So for example we are reading values from GDLs and push them to Properties etc... It's would be much more conviniet to do those small scripts directly in file. Since mostly there are project realted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to say I'm ver very happy that this is finally coming.
Like Stefan says:
"countless little things and have some interaction between the ARCHICAD software, the ARCHICAD project database and the ARCHICAD Library Objects."
Lot of little very boring tasks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
this weekend is almost Christmas! will we see
the first version of the Python API (v0.1 Experimental Version)?

waiting ...
Karl Ottenstein
A summary of the Graphisoft status on this experimental plugin since this thread is getting long now.

Note: Tibor Lorántfy's post quotes below...a "goal" of the first beta by the end of the month... but no promise, just a goal. Second, the plug-in will be a first, experimental beta ... subject to a beta test process, not a public release. Please be patient. 🙂
Tibor wrote:
Python Add-On development is still in experimental phase, we are investigating the possible solutions.
One of those is to create a Python wrapper for the existing C++ API. We have an early implementation of that, but that may not be the final solution. We'll make our choice depending on the real user requirements. So I cannot answer your question yet, but we are open to use cases, feel free to share your thoughts.
Tibor wrote:
nedostizni wrote:
I would appreciate if we could have some reply from Graphisoft developers, on approximate time of the year when we could finally have the access to python API. Would it be end of this year?
Our goal is to publish the first version of the Python API (v0.1 Experimental Version) by the end of this year.
Tibor wrote:
poco2013 wrote:
Is there going to be a Beta Site that we can sign up for?
Yes, we are already working on the preparations of the Beta Program for the Python API. I hope you will join and help us with your feedbacks.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB