GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Why is the GDL slab not expressed as a fit for insulation? Is it possible?

LeeJaeYoung
Virtuoso

LeeJaeYoung_0-1652685988647.png

This is a cross section.
The left insulation mark is a slab.
The insulation on the right is a slab in the GDL.
Why is the GDL slab not expressed as a fit for insulation?

Is it possible?

AC27 on window 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi,

Fit to skin doesn't work in GDL.

There is a note under Building Material's Fill orientation, that it is only available for Composites and Complex profiles. GDL doesn't have such commands, even saving a composite as GDL Object explodes the skins.

Logically a privileged direction is needed perpendicular to which the fit is done. This direction is defined by one side of the composite or profile. A general GDL potato doesn't have such direction. For example this profile section

PeterBaksa_0-1652856873555.png

defines the fit basis along the left side, and the width is averaged from the other vertices.

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I assume you are talking about the "Fit to Skin" option for Building Materials, and you are saying that when you model a Slab in GDL, the insulation Material's size does not adjust to the thickness of the Slab.

Actually, I am not sure this capability is available for geometries generated in GDL. Perhaps someone more familiar with this than me can chime in.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Yeah!
What I am talking about is when creating walls, slabs, etc. in GDL.
The fit to skin inside the soft insulation does not work.

It is the same even if the material index is obtained from WALL_SKINS_PARAMS.

I'd like to know if it's a Graphisoft bug.
Do they answer here?

Thanks for reading.

AC27 on window 11
Solution

Hi,

Fit to skin doesn't work in GDL.

There is a note under Building Material's Fill orientation, that it is only available for Composites and Complex profiles. GDL doesn't have such commands, even saving a composite as GDL Object explodes the skins.

Logically a privileged direction is needed perpendicular to which the fit is done. This direction is defined by one side of the composite or profile. A general GDL potato doesn't have such direction. For example this profile section

PeterBaksa_0-1652856873555.png

defines the fit basis along the left side, and the width is averaged from the other vertices.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Thank you for the reply.

In the era of insulation materials,
It seems to be a problem that Archicad has not expressed GDL insulation for many years.

All I can do now is wait for Archicad to put the insulation in the GDL.

AC27 on window 11

It's 2023.
Is Fit to skin still not available in GDL?

AC27 on window 11

Building Materials cannot be defined in GDL so the "Fit to Skin" option is not available either as it is a setting that is used in the definition of Building Materials.

You can define only the following basic attribute types in GDL: Fills, Line Types, Surfaces and Textures.

Note: Surfaces are defined using the "DEFINE MATERIAL" command. "Surfaces" were called "Materials" in Archicad prior to the introduction of Building Materials, then they were renamed "Surfaces", but the name of their relevant commands remained the same in GDL (for compatibility reasons, I guess).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Please enter feature requests in the https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/bd-p/ideas forum.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest