GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

XML converter Bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
Starting a new thread from here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=7435
I took for exsample the folder 'moebel' from obejct explorer 2.0 and convert it to XML and back. There I look at Armstuhl_4.gsm

When I the watch the GSM in GDL-explorer it always shows an error on displaying the 3DView:
Stiftnummer ist kleiner als 1 oder groesser als 255 bei Zeile 7 von Datei 4A4C_Armstuhl_4.gsm

Translation:
pen-number is lesser than 1 and bigger than 255 at line 7 of file 4A4C_Armstuhl_4.gsm

Why this error? I do not change anything.
Why '4A4C_' in front of the filename?

The UI interface shows up and worked.

Also strange:

When I convert the new GSM back to XML and made a diff between the XML from original and converted they only differ in the second version-GUID.

Also the 2 lines which cause the error are:

7 pen gs_cont_pen
19 pen gs_cont_pen

And a HEX diff between the 2 GSM show a slightly diff in some sections.
So the copy is definatly different form the original besides the version GUID.
Should the converter be able to produce a 1 to 1 copy (besides version-number) of a GDL?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
The converter should, and as far as I know, does convert round-trip perfectly for ArchiCAD.

But, the web control is another matter. I have seen the pen error with various parts in the past (David Nicholson-Cole discussed this on GDL Talk a while ago) ...but have not used the web control for well over a year, so do not know anything about its status and if/how it interprets things differently than AC itself. Someone else will have to comment. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The converter should, and as far as I know, does convert round-trip perfectly for ArchiCAD.
But why is the the GSM in HEX different on more than only the version-GUID. So it is not only for the web control.

Also I tried it with GDL explorer 1+2.
Andras Babos
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
The XML converter always creates GDL objects for the current ArchiCAD version (the ArchiCAD version it came with).
So I suspect you picked a 8.1 version GDL object, converted it to XML and when you convert that XML back to GSM it will be compiled for AC version 9.0. Since the GDL web control for version 9.0 just came out, I suspect Object Explorer 2.0 doesn't use that, so that's the cause of your error.

HTH:
Andras.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip:

>the ArchiCAD version it came with

I have no Archicad yet so it was a separate download from graphisoft.

>I suspect Object Explorer 2.0 doesn't use that, so that's the cause of your error.

Yes, it uses 2.01!

I made a sample HTML and place my converted object into it.
And voila no more error with web control 9.

The worse about it: It seems not to be documented anywhere that it only works with web control 9. No more update for GDL Explorer, so XML converter and explorer never gets together.