BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

getting the Key number

TomWaltz
Participant
in the API documentation, there is a reference to an API command APIEnv_CheckDongleID that can be used to get the dongle content.

All I need is to get the number of the dongle itself.

Does anyone have any information on this? Of is this something I should contact GS directly for?
Tom Waltz
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Hmmm. Yeah, the documentation on that page is pretty minimal, isn't it. I haven't tried that one; somebody else will have to jump in.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Oleg
Expert
Look to APIEnv_ProtectionDataID instead APIEnv_CheckDongleID.
TomWaltz
Participant
Thanks, Oleg, that's exactly what I was looking for.

It seems like GS is not giving much information on that one. Perhaps Akos could shed a little more light on it for us? <hint, hint 🙂 >
Tom Waltz
Akos Somorjai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
TomWaltz wrote:
It seems like GS is not giving much information on that one. Perhaps Akos could shed a little more light on it for us? <hint, hint 🙂 >
Why should we?

Let's see API_ProtectionInfo first. (i.e. ACAPI_Environment (APIEnv_ProtectionDataID, ...))
There are several versions out on the market in terms of protection. The most common are DEMO (the name speaks for itself), NFR (Not-For-Resale), site and full license, and student version. Some of them have limited functionality (e.g. the student version handles only 3-story buildings if I remember well, and writes different files). In some countries they also sell a version with and without Teamwork.
The masks in the protMode field reflect these differences. You can decide if you want your add-on to run with a certain protection scheme, for example you might want to disable some of your add-on's functionality when ArchiCAD is in DEMO mode.

APIEnv_CheckDongleID is a different technology; it is not supported any more. The original purpose was to help developers protect their add-ons with the same hw key what ArchiCAD uses.

HTH,

Akos
Anonymous
Not applicable
APIEnv_CheckDongleID is a different technology; it is not supported any more. The original purpose was to help developers protect their add-ons with the same hw key what ArchiCAD uses.
Is there a way to protect the add-on against copying to another computer now? I didn`t find anything useful so far, but I still believe it can be done. One way may be using the hardware key number, but is there also a function to retrieve for example the user`s email used to generate passwords (for EDU versions)?
Thanks,
Peter
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
santi wrote:
Is there a way to protect the add-on against copying to another computer now? I didn`t find anything useful so far, but I still believe it can be done. One way may be using the hardware key number, but is there also a function to retrieve for example the user`s email used to generate passwords (for EDU versions)?
That's entirely in your hands. Every developer will probably have a different policy on this, so it isn't an area that GS can help with.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!