GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

wall/roof attaching object subtype

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I want to do an object that can be attached to a wall/roof (and if possible to any other kind of surface). What would be the correct object subtype to choose in the editor for this purpose?
I am familiar with window / door objects, and I assume those can be used to make an object attachable to walls, but is it possible to create the object without creating the wallhole using those subtypes?

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Window / door for walls and skylight for roof.

I believe that if you do not script a WALLHOLE the it will automatically place one based on the A & B lengths.
So maybe just script one with a zero size or is outside the wall thickness.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not aware of the new AC23 Opening tool. Could it be associated to wall and roofs, as well to slabs and meshes?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thank you for your replies!

I will use the window and skylight objects. For the hole I tried the following in a window object:

WALLHOLE - no way to define cut depth, so it cuts all the way through the wall

WALLNICHE, zero thickness - defaults to the normal wallhole, cutting all the way through with size A * B

WALLNICHE, outside wall - this worked, I defined the directional vector as [0, 0, -1] with a thickness of .001. The user would have to set the direction of the object to face outwards, as the hole otherwise appears. This should not be a problem, as that can be modified with the symb_rotangle, symb_mirrored and wido_reveal_side parameters.