BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

1200 dpi

ares997
Contributor
I am trying to get a 7in x 7in (min.) 1200 dpi sketch, or render out of Archicad though I am running out of physical memory and ram. What is the minimum hardware setting I need to get this size of rendering out?
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually stick to 150 dpi.... and print out on 8.5x11's ....isnt too bad. And since you are doing a sketch render, I think 150 dpi should be enough. Hopefully that will allow your render to finish without running out of physical memory and ram.
Dwight
Newcomer
A person who thinks they need a 1200 dpi rendering does understand the mechanics of output. How did you arrive at this number?

7x1200 = 8400 x 8400 pixels

This is not feasible in the LightWorks engine - limited to somewhere around 4000 pixels.

If you need a 7x7" rendering try for around 2000 pixels.
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dwight wrote:
A person who thinks they need a 1200 dpi rendering does understand the mechanics of output.
does? or doesn't?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
How could i miss such a little word?

… does NOT understand the mechanics of output.

Which one of these smileys denotes shame?
Dwight Atkinson
ares997
Contributor
I personally don't think that 1200 dpi is necessary though I was going by the FALL 2007 ASCE Press Authors Guide, which states that 1200 dpi is the optimum level for a line drawing. Thus I was trying to achieve that bench mark for a sketch rendering out of Archicad. Though it does say that 600 dpi is also acceptable. Though I hate just being acceptable. Furthermore I was trying to see what the baseline hardware specifications would be necessary to achieve that.

I am working on a book and the editor sent me their specifications and I was just trying to follow them as best as I can though Dwight you have experience as an Author. What setting did you use for output for your images and what not?

Thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
Several issues cloud the matter.

You said "sketch or render" in your posting.
You did NOT say line drawing.

Yes, line drawings should be rastered to 1200dpi, but these aren't renderings, they would be rastered from vector output. No greyscale.

First: You can't render more than 4048x4048 pixels in LightWorks.

Big renderings are done in Artlantis.

Second: If you make more than 300 dpi for a full color image it is probably a waste unless they are going for specialty printing on synthetic stock. Your guys will probably use a line screen of 150lpi and 2x is the ratio. Is this an art book?

As for high resolution sketch rendering or photo-realistic rendering, the true limit is not the rendering engine but texture resolution. The "lines" in a sketch rendering are actually small TIF files - they never highly resolve [see: Visualization>SketchTextures> 01_Crayon_AD for an example of resolution limits]. At a certain point, the sketch lines themselves reveal pixels.

If you need larger sketch renderings, use tools like Genuine Fractals or Sharpener Pro to improve apparent sharpness.

But Junior is in the ballpark with 150dpi for inkjet output.

As for rendering in LightWorks above 2000 pixels of a typical building, standard Archicad texture maps begin to blur and reveal chromatic aberration. You get nice sharp edges with a blurry mess inside. Very amatoor.
Dwight Atkinson
ares997
Contributor
So in my quest for high quality graphics I have come up with the 3d-document tool because of it's output options as they relate to vector graphics. Though when I get to Adobe Illustrator CS4 the highest values are 300 dpi. Is there a way to go higher (600dpi)?
Dwight
Newcomer
Exactly who is going to print this project?
Dwight Atkinson
ares997
Contributor
The book publisher is: ASCE Press (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Learn and get certified!