BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

2D presentation in Illustrator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have used Illustrator in the past to add color to 2D floor plans. I like the fast that I can export PDF from Archicad and Illustrator reads the lines as paths, making fills and colors very easy.

I would like to do the same with 3D images from ArchiCAD (and Sketchup too, actually)... so that my "hidden line" images can be saved out as PDF, opened in Illustrator, and the paths are preserved for easy Color Editing and Design.

I looked at Piranesi, but i do not see the capability there.

Does anyone have suggestions?
1 REPLY 1
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
LINZ wrote:
I have used Illustrator in the past to add color to 2D floor plans. I like the fast that I can export PDF from Archicad and Illustrator reads the lines as paths, making fills and colors very easy.
I would like to do the same with 3D images from ArchiCAD [...]
Does anyone have suggestions?
In the 3D window settings, change the 3D Engine to "Internal Engine" and make sure Hidden Line Mode and Shaded Mode are "Analytic" (depending on which mode you choose - refer to the image below). Then the 3D view will be a vector image which can be printed as PDF, or you can copy/paste to the floor plan and edit the lines/polygons. Note that surface textures will not be displayed, and also curved faces will produce many surface polygons to illustrate the effects of shading. The vector 3D view is also much slower to generate.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!