Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3D Documents - using them in our documentation for S.D.

rob2218
Enthusiast
so..the dimensions on certain occasions get "flipped" to the wrong side of the dimension line.
No matter which way I run the dim string....they seem to get flipped the wrong side.

In standard industry (in the U.S. that is) dimensions , notes, text...are ALWAYS READ ON A SHEET either vertically (like you are reading a book) or if you tilt your head the left...they are read from the side(as though you rotate a sheet 90 counter clockwise) but you never...EVER never put text, dims neither updside down......NOR reading from the left....how do I fix this 3D document setting on the text besides manually rotating each incorrect DIM string of text?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's what the sheet layout looks like of the those 3D Document wall sections we are trying to promote.

We love the feature of the 3D Document.
Autorebuild from the model itself.
it updates.
you can select the "objects" and manipulate them to some degree....but the darn dimensions.....rotation incorrectly places itself randomly....

Now...GS I don't want to gripe (but I must) it feels sometimes like the programmers you have developing these "awesome" tools just don't have a sense of practical/real world/ construction documentation practices....I may be wrong but...sometimes...there are these "quirky" scenarios that just don't make any sense.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rob2218:

I could not reproduce your bug, but if you select just the dimension text, you can change its rotation angle by 180˚ to get the text direction you want.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
rob2218
Enthusiast
Thanks for responding David.
I have updated my signature to include info you suggested.
One thing I noticed is that the is does not appear in an pay reply other than the initial posting.....

So....could you show me that dialogue box where you see the 180 flip for a dimension on a 3Ddocument view?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Nevermind about the signature comment......I see it now
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
Option 1
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Option 2
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 4.56.08 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What happens if you try rotating the whole dimension string? Or mirroring it?

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rob2218:

Thanks for adding the signature.

I was referring to eduardo's Option 2, which is also available in the Info Box when just the Dimension Text is selected.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
I think it is all as it should be.
The perspective of your view is altering the angle of the dimensions so they are sloping in at the top.
So your dimension text is sitting on top of the line and is readable from the bottom of the page as it should be.

You will need to manually adjust the text angle as already suggested.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11