BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D Printing ArchiCAD Models

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wanted to share my first ArchiCAD Model print. Using personal CR10S Pro and PLA. Very little prep time required, thanks to ArchiCAD's 'Filter Elements'. I had this print out on Friday, as I was working on another project's CD set.

If you have a 3D Model I would be interested to see it. 3D Printing prep tips are also welcome! Perhaps I will learn a thing or two. I am printing another model at the moment and using a new roof strategy. Cutting my roofs in two (using Meshmixer), to eliminated needing to print supports (less time and material).

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Round Two. 3D Printing ArchiCAD Models... This one turned out a little messy.

For this model I separated the Roof Stories, but also cut them in half. By cutting the Roofs in half, I was able to print all roof structures on their side and avoid any 3D printing support. This saved about 6-9 hours of printing time and much material. Another note I would make is that my Site came out really bowed (about 1/8"). This is due to the 3D printing hot bed. I decided not to print over, because it printed 10 hours over night. Instead I built another small wooden base / frame which really helps hide this defect.

A draw back of my new Roof printing strategy is that I have a minor line showing across each roof, where they are connected together. I am still trying to figure out the best adhesive to use for these models, but Loctite Super glue and Accelerator seem to be best. I have tried a paste-like glue here and left a noticeable mark. This model had glue smudges I wanted to hide and so I decided to spray paint the entire model white. I applied two layers but this still did not cleanup up the smudge. It also changed the appearance to an off-white, which does not match my other model. Not a big deal, but something to consider. All in all, I don't want to be spray painting my models. The goal is to turn over these ArchiCAD physical models very quickly!

Please let me know if this is at all helpful or interesting. If you are a Board Moderator, please move this Discussion to another Board if need be. Thank you.
Mjules
Mentor
Hi,

I like your 3D printing models! Do you have a 3D printer?

I am taking a master's degree in architecture, and I have always had a lot of physical models to realize anytime. Some tips, tricks, and techniques would be welcome.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Learn and get certified!