BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D quick views lose their location and target

Anonymous
Not applicable
G'day everyone,

it happened several times the following:
-I set a 3D view of a model
-I save a quick view of it
-I save the file, restart AC and re-open the file
-I open the saved quick view and the model is not there
-I check the settings of the 3D view and realize that the camera is moved and looking away from the model

Is there a way to avoid that to happen?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you using explicit cameras to define the views? I do this all the time and never have a problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Matthew,

I felt a real beginner reading your answer. I was actually simply saving views from marquee selections. That's probably why that was happening I guess. Strange though that was happening only after a random time frame, sometimes the day after, sometimes a month later!

Would you know if there a way to set the cameras dynamically, using the orbit/3d explore tool rather than: set the camera settings -> check the view -> come back to the floor plan -> change the settings -> check the view -> come back to the floor plan -> change the settings -> ...
Barry Kelly
Place the camera in plan.
View the 3D model and adjust as necessary.
Then right click on the camera name in the navigator that you want to set and choose "Modify this camera to current view".

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Much appreciate it Barry.

Hope I can be one of those giving advises too one day and return the favors
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Claudio:

There is also the Put a camera into the path menu command, which will place a Camera based on the current 3D perspective.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Found it: View -> 3D navigation extra -> Put a camera into the path
Very handy indeed!
Thanks heaps David!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What version are you actually experiencing this with? Was the file migrated from an older version?

I haven't used cameras for 3D views for years and have since built dozens of templates with saved 3D views, with no problems at all. In fact I'd go out on a limb and say that using cameras for 3D views in antequated and that cameras are only required for fly-throughs!

A saved 3D View will remember 3D Projection Settings (including zooming), Filter Elements in 3D (including marquees & explicit selections), 3D Window Settings, 3D Cutting Planes, 3D Cutaway and Photorendering Settings. So there's a lot to consider, and I'm not convinced that using a camera is the ultimate solution to your problem.

Non-camera 3D views are easily redefined should anything change, also. Just check the 'Redefine Image settings with current' box. Clean & simple.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! If you have an example of one not working, please let's take a look!

Chers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have similar comments to Link. I use saved views without cameras, and have not had a problem in years.

I would prefer that when you save a 3D view using the marquee to select the relevant area, that the marquee displays when you flip back to plan view, so you know exactly what you had if you need to modify the extents (or copy for another view). One solution to this is to draw a polyline and "magic wand" your marquee to the polyline shape, using that for future reference, but I often forget to do this until its too late.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with you both Link and S2art, it all does make sense to me too, though it was happening on two files and tried asking around.

The camera option suggested could be the solution, but if you say that it never happened to you, it may be due to the fact that I was, in both cases, working on a migrated file.

First file created in version AC7 migrated now in AC12.
Second file created in AC11 and now is in AC12. This model has though been originally made in AC7 too. Being it too messy, I decided to start a new file and to copy the content of the original AC7 file into the new created AC11 file.

I'll definitely try both options again and keep everyone posted in case other things won't work as they should!

Thanks for your attention, time and support
Learn and get certified!