BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D walkthroughs and video

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our firm is interested in adding on a tool which would allow us to export walk-through movies of our buildings. The intent is that these movies could then be embedded in our website, or shown to our client etc.

Can the Virtual Building Explorer do this? Would you recommend an alternate software? Cinema 4d? Is anyone familiar with the costs associated to the best tools for this type of job?

This would be a new foray for us, and one of us will dive in and learn what needs to be learned to do this.. but we need some experienced opinions on tools, method or process... what works, what is recommeded etc..

All input and help is welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
matthewjj
Newcomer
SiRowe wrote:
...As a result, we now use VBE in conjunction with screen capture software. It allows us to walk the route we want to showcase, and draw attention to relevant parts of the building. The screen capture software will take video up to 2 hours in length at the monitor's resolution and cost us less than $50 for a single commercial license.

The only small drawback to this method is the smoothness of navigation around the building. Obviously with typical animations you would work with cameras and paths, which can be smoothed, whereas VBE relies on the user navigating with a mouse and keyboard. As such the navigation can be a bit clunky or jittery, but really it's not that noticeable. Definately worth the small investment for the capture software.

Hope all that help!
I have tried this as well but sadly with poor results, mainly lots of graphical artifacting and choppy capture of the movement. I tried Screenium and the built-in screen capture in Snow Leopard Quicktime X. One of them was a little better but both were unusable for clients. Could it be RAM or graphics card related, should I try different screen capture software? I would really like to try this method again.
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
Wokka
Contributor
Having trouble with screen capture software (camtasia), as it doesn't want to capture the VBE screen. Any tips to getting this to work, or other screen capture software to try?? As usual, urgent!!
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Learn and get certified!