Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D walkthroughs and video

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our firm is interested in adding on a tool which would allow us to export walk-through movies of our buildings. The intent is that these movies could then be embedded in our website, or shown to our client etc.

Can the Virtual Building Explorer do this? Would you recommend an alternate software? Cinema 4d? Is anyone familiar with the costs associated to the best tools for this type of job?

This would be a new foray for us, and one of us will dive in and learn what needs to be learned to do this.. but we need some experienced opinions on tools, method or process... what works, what is recommeded etc..

All input and help is welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
VBE generates a stand-alone executable file (for either Mac or Windows) that is navigated by the user - and so the entire file has to be downloaded. It does not have a web-enabled mode (too big of a file anyway).

If you want an actual movie, then you need to generate one. For the web, I would upload it to YouTube and embed the youtube viewer on your page. Since YouTube now uses HTML5 instead of Flash, anybody could view the movie even on an iPad or iPhone.

ArchiCAD itself can generate animation files (movies) using OpenGL, Sketch or LightWorks rendering engines. The lighting is the hardest / slowest part to get right since there is no radioisity in any of these built-in solutions. Artlantis Studio ($), Cinema 4D ($$), Modo and all kinds of other software offer alternatives for better quality.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
VBE generates a stand-alone executable file (for either Mac or Windows) that is navigated by the user - and so the entire file has to be downloaded. It does not have a web-enabled mode (too big of a file anyway).

If you want an actual movie, then you need to generate one. For the web, I would upload it to YouTube and embed the youtube viewer on your page. Since YouTube now uses HTML5 instead of Flash, anybody could view the movie even on an iPad or iPhone.

ArchiCAD itself can generate animation files (movies) using OpenGL, Sketch or LightWorks rendering engines. The lighting is the hardest / slowest part to get right since there is no radioisity in any of these built-in solutions. Artlantis Studio ($), Cinema 4D ($$), Modo and all kinds of other software offer alternatives for better quality.
Thanks.. I think we have enough experience to know that generating a quality walk through internal to Archicad is too much of a cumbersome experience, so we will look into Artlantis as well, how about Virtual Building Explorer? Im about to dive into the trial version, does anyone have experience using their record to video function?
Anonymous
Not applicable
We often produce VBE walkthroughs for clients and they always go down very well. We used to send them out as exe files and so long as the recipients computer was mid to high spec they ran without any problem.

However, the VBE files often need to go out while we're still working on detailed areas and complex junctions. As such there are often areas of the model which aren't fully resolved - areas that we wouldn't want seen. But of course with complete freedom in VBE the client can then easily stumble across them. So the freedom of VBE creates more problems, sparks up conversations about incomplete areas and can draw attention to secondary areas like toilets and services.

As a result, we now use VBE in conjunction with screen capture software. It allows us to walk the route we want to showcase, and draw attention to relevant parts of the building. The screen capture software will take video up to 2 hours in length at the monitor's resolution and cost us less than $50 for a single commercial license.

The only small drawback to this method is the smoothness of navigation around the building. Obviously with typical animations you would work with cameras and paths, which can be smoothed, whereas VBE relies on the user navigating with a mouse and keyboard. As such the navigation can be a bit clunky or jittery, but really it's not that noticeable. Definately worth the small investment for the capture software.

Hope all that help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add to my last post -

I'd strongly recommend the additional cost of VBE with Global Illumination. The quality of light is much better and the final render is much more convincing.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Quick Question... I downloaded the TRIAL and installed it, but when trying to export, it says there is NO VALID KEY...

Not quite sure why a TRIAL version is asking for a key?

Anyone?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know the EcoDesigner trial is only run when AC is started in demo-mode. Unplug your key and run AC, and then VBE.
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Hopefully in the future, WebGL/HTML5 will expand the ways our 3D models can be viewed from the internet. I really wish GS would give some indication about the things they are planning for future releases....
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been looking at the open source BIMServer project (not to be confused with Graphisoft's BIM Server) to help present the model over the web. I haven't had much luck so far, but I have only tried one model. It has the capability to display the IFC model using WebGL.
R Muller
Enthusiast
I have been experimenting with IFC, and it appears that the IFC model cannot include any material textures. This limits its use for presentation.

VBE shows all the model textures. Better for presentation even if the user interface is incredibly klunky.

For my first experiment with VBE, using only default settings, the projected time to render global illumination is 40 hours. This means it totally takes over the computer for this whole time. No e-mail or anything else on the desktop. And no instructions as to what to change to potentially speed it up.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey