Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3d model rising out of architectural floor plan.....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive always thought it would be a neat presentation technique to have model or partial model rising out of "the architectural floor plan"

Has anyone had any success in doing this.
Would they like to share the end result and how they did it?

Thanks again.
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
That's a complex situation. I have only done parts of it......

Alternatives:

You do have the Construction Simulation Goodie. I have never used this.

Then there was the Aftermarket Object that took a GDL object and scaled it vertically in an Archicad animation. It worked well and was believable if buildings were rubber.

In Artlantis, it is simple enough to animate the scale of any object - you could make a thing flat, then move to its proper height. The components cold be timed with key frames.

Of course, this can be done with a combination of tricks, including an animation of the vertical scale, say, of building columns, then floor plates, then use a slide show to cross fade into successive images having additional building components to complete the building. After all, we see buildings rise up daily, but only as far as the frame goes - then panels are added whole.

As far as the floor plan goes, you would make a surface skinning material of the floor plan drawing to complete the effect.

Sorry for the hypothetical nature of the reply....
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Depending on your desired results it should be pretty easy. Just save your floor plan as a DWG. Then use the Open Object command to open that DWG and then save it as a (GSM) library part. Place that libary part so it aligns with your model. It wll be visible in 3D and you could use SEOs to show your model rising out from it.

Cheers,
Link.
TADA.jpg
Karl Ottenstein
Great image, Link. Sad that Microsoft Windows' cheesy 'tada' sound comes to mind upon seeing the graphic. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
I assume Lennox needs an animation of some kind.

Since we went through this last year without success, did anyone finally manage to animate a cutting plane or SEO?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could create a simple animation, using Links technique and 3D cutaways to create a series of images and then stitch them together using Adobe ImageReady or something similar.
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:
Since we went through this last year without success, did anyone finally manage to animate a cutting plane or SEO?
The bug from last year involving the image not being rebuilt when the cut plane was moved in the GDL script was confirmed by GS. I kind of remember seeing that it might be fixed now... but have not tried it again in the latest build of 12 to see...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Here's an untested hypothetical... proabably on the same lines as the cutplane, but why not....

1. Create a 3d object (slabbish) that is set as the boolean OPERATOR on your entire building (most likely saved as an object itself)

2. In this object you can have it's height variable by frame number

3. Insert Link's DWG plan (not cut by operator)

4. Set layer of cutter to WIREFRAME (or simply apply INVISIBLE material) so it never shows in rendering
a. on the other hand, make sure it's on a wireframe layer and give it a material that you can use as the CUTPLANE Material for the house i.e. when the building grows up, the edge of cuttedness is black or Richard Meier Orange...

5. Render....

If you use Subtract w/ UPWARDS extrusion, placing the cutter below the lowest part will show NO BUILDING until such time as the bottom of the cutter passes the bottom of the building.

Sound's like it should work!

Thanks for letting me play
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
A quick test shows pretty much what you're after....

One caveat....

1. Had to use CURRENT FRAME - START FRAME or the multiplier went too quick (didn't start on 1!)
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Dwight
Newcomer
Excellent news!!!

Now, what was that GDL object that scaled the model vertically in an animation?
Dwight Atkinson