Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3d to 2d when? and how to improve 2d archicad skills.

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i am wondering what you consider the best approach? should wall sections be a 3d section or a 2d worksheet section?

then, am I correct to assume all details should be pretty much done in 2d?

i am wondering about layer management. do you use a special couple of layers for modifications that you make to the 'build' detail.? so that when you 'rebuild' details you have easier manipulation control of any modifications you have made.

i've done a couple of residential projects, and thus far, have done wall sections in 2d, details in 3d and it has worked out alright. But now i am trying to get my head around how to approach our offices first larger archicad project - a renovation and addition for a 12,000 square feet correctional facility. in terms of detailing and wall sections. any advice would be really great. thanks guys.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
remind me not to post on Friday before a 4th of july weekend...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey man - always ask,

Layer management is a huge subject, but some aspects are:

Layer combinations can be created to set proper layers for:
A) Printed Sheets (Layouts)
B) Views that help work on the model (no output, just convenience)
C) Versions of the plans or elevations for Electrical, Demolition, Finish plans etc.

My take on 2D vs 3D:

Anything that is continuous in the axis of the wall can and should be 3D modeled. 2D is my choice for all the items that occur at regular intervals (brick ties, weeps, anchors, etc.).

Generate the best model time allows. The more you work with 3D the easier it is to go further. It just takes experience.

Take "live" sections from the model, keep these sections "live" as the basis for building your section details. Then add 2D linework and text as required to produce the final detail. Only destroy the 3D by exploding or making independent sections/details as the last resort.

Some pointers:
Display Order) Use the display order of elements extensively; note this does not change the floor plan display.
Complex Profiles) Use of complex profiles will help in many situations to get better wall sections.
Patches) Use white lines or white fills to help with some of the inconsistencies.
Search on all key words used above and you will find great help in this forum.
Review your elements to make sure the line-work is as useful as possible without any "cover-up" in the sections. Attached is a section with the Complex Profile highlighted to show how far the 3D can go.

Snap
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kantrolya wrote:
ok i am wondering what you consider the best approach? should wall sections be a 3d section or a 2d worksheet section?
I model accurately enough in 3D to produce all my major sections at 1:50 without any 2D additions, i.e. I get sections to that scale with minimal effort.

When it comes to detailing, e.g. at 1:10, I always do this in 2D, but the basis for detail comes from the 3D model. When I place the detail marker, a copy of the model section is created in the detail, and I rework this to make a readable drawing. I say this because details are not a literal representation - they are an (abstract) illustration. Many elements are slightly exploded in a detail view to make the drawing easier to read.
Detailing.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Snap. i read your message last night and it inspired me to go ahead and model the tapered insulation rather than faking it in the sections and details. i like the part where you said just go as far as you can with 3d. I'll do just that.

pushing the envelope. well my envelope anyway
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow. thanks for the screenshots Ralph. it's encouraging to see how people are using it and, it, seems less intimidating when i see examples. it's kind of a re-assurance that i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, rather just finding the best way that works for my office.

these are my sections at this point for 1:96 (1/8" per foot) at a 65% level. kind of crude i know, but i'm dealing with renovation and existing hotlinked in, so i'm not sure, but it looks like some of SEO's have to be redone every time i update my hot'linked asbuilt. As you can see i'm starting to look at seo, complex profiles and composites.

fun stuff. thanks everyone.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't see anything in your section that requires an SEO. The tapered insulation on the flat roof can be modeled with only the slab tool's "angle edge" feature.

Look at this link to Eric Bobrow's discussion of Renovation Project workflow. I like approach #3: "Use Layer Management to Switch Between As-Built and New". A little slower to set up the first time, but very flexible and reusable on future renov's.

Try hot linking a pln instead of the Mod file - I think the Pln has more features (like auto backup!) and update more easily. Elsewhere Erich said:
(this is easier if you can afford to link a plan rather than module as there is no need to re-export an updated module first)
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
snap- I actually used Bobrows 4th method: Hotlinking the As-Built into the Remodel File. So i am using a pln hotlink'd in. ther have been some problems however. For example existing to remain walls w/ demolished windows/doors is a real pain to workaround. i can't wait to start another renovation project in v15 and see what how the renovation options work.

yesterday i used the roof tool and that required seo subtraction because i wanted to use a composite profile to get the coverboard & membrane in there as well. And I used other SEO's throughout the project. i am jst too lazy to go back and identify them and put them in screenshots.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the roof though. Pretty cool, because now i don't have to fake it in all the sections.
Anonymous
Not applicable
and the second screenshot.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool. It's nice to get what you want!