BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

A19 Solo: Importing a master layout into another pln file

Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
I am struggling to import a master layout file from one pln file to another. The organiser top left box does not have the browse option therefore the common TW solution doesn't work. Is this a limitation of Solo or is there a workaround please?
Dennis Hellyar
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
There is so little info on Solo available for those of us who have never seen it, which is a shame since it has been rolled out in more countries. I wish there was a start-up setting for AC Professional that let us run in "Solo mode" to be able to help the Solo community more directly.

Lacking Teamwork and model Hotlinks in Solo, I am still surprised that Solo does not allow you to browse to another PLN file to at least place drawings into the current layout or to move layouts, masters etc as you want.

Does Solo allow you to open more than one instance / file at the same time as Pro does? If so, perhaps you can drag and drop the master from one file to the other?

If not, then perhaps you can at least copy/paste the master content from one Solo file to another? (Unfortunately the master sheet settings would have to be set up manually.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
You can open more than one A19 instance at a time. But it doesn't seem possible to drag a layout from one instance to another. Copy and paste not possible either.
Dennis Hellyar
Karl Ottenstein
Dennis wrote:
You can open more than one A19 instance at a time. But it doesn't seem possible to drag a layout from one instance to another. Copy and paste not possible either.
By copy I meant the content... On an open master select-all then copy. Are you saying that the clipboard is empty when you open or switch to the other file in order to paste into a new master?
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
Awesome! Success!! I copied and pasted the the content rather than the 'file' as such. I'm sure there are more hurdles ahead but at least this one is sorted. Many thanks!!!
Dennis Hellyar
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
Dennis Hellyar
Karl Ottenstein
Glad that a content copy/paste worked. Thanks for posting back. 🙂

But, I hope someone who has Solo - or someone from Graphisoft - can report on a mechanism to move content from one file to another as in the full version. Building a Solo template with Layout (etc) content could be quite tedious otherwise.
Karl Griffith
Booster
I don't know of other options for moving content from one file to another in Solo, but I can observe - as a new user - that you can't Xref in Solo. That was a surprise. I guess 'Solo' means not only one user, but strictly one file.

I was able to merge files to set up a trace reference to a dwg file, but that's not what I wanted to do. Not having Xref is a real handicap...
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Can you place the DWG as drawing?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Karl Griffith
Booster
I found out that a DWG can be dragged and dropped onto an independent worksheet to provide a static Xref. This provides the limited functionality I was looking for. This seems to work for image files and pdfs as well.

Basically, there is no File>External Content path in the menu structure, so all the functions in the full version available by that path do not exist, including hotlinked modules and xrefs.

Solo is not a limited version of AC19, but a completely different installation file.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Learn and get certified!