Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

AC 10 - Elevation Shading Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having trouble with my elevations in ArchiCAD 10.

The vectorial hatching is not showing up through the empty fill I have always used for shadows. I have played with all the settings. The only one that shows the hatching through the shadows is the new setting for Fill Uncut Surfaces With: Element's Own Material Colors. The problem with that is that I no longer get a clean white background in unshaded areas for plotting. Everything has gradients of grey or color which don't plot that cleanly IMHO.

Anyone?

I attached a file with the 9 version on the left and the 10 version on the right...

Same file opened with two versions...

and I can't seem to attach my jpg even at 130 kb, mmmm...
Image width was too high, over 1600. Now it works.

AC-10.gif
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
i have had the same problem but i noticed that if the fill is set to 'cut stone', the pattern can be seen through the shadow but if set to 'brick running bond' the pattern is no longer visible (i.e. the shadow hides it).

i have checked the 2 fills and they seem to have identical settings except for the pattern itself

any ideas why the the shadow behaves different in the 2 cases?
Jefferson
Participant
this is what I've ended up doing to "get back" to where I was prior to the new shadow "feature" in 10:

pen 41 is my shadow pen, as Link suggested, truth be known
actually built into my template , and then using the 50% fill pattern. I have now actually created a shadow fill, around a 35% fill,
obviously you can adjust color of pens and fill density to taste
seems to be working pretty well so far.....I find the % fills give a cleaner result than fills with lines or patterns, in my world here anyway. I might add that syncing your plotter-printer is crucial for satisfactory printed results......as you can see very different appearances from the elevation view window to PDF results, and yet again to the printer, probably should've taken a digital photo of printed output...........

yet another work-around, but once your set up it’s all good
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check and see if the setting is set to scale with plan or scale independent.

I have found that fills that are checked "scale independent" allow the shadow fill to be translucent and will show through the shadow fill every time. Scaled to plan fills do not show through...
Anonymous
Not applicable
g.h.design, when i read your comment:

'Check and see if the setting is set to scale with plan or scale independent'

i didn't really have that much faith, but i had a look, changed the setting and now the shadows work fine!

great tip!