Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC 12 file in AC 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had an older AC12 file I opened in 16. Everything seemed fine at first, but the drawings in the layout sheets are locked
out as a "master item".

I'm prompted to edit it in the assigned master layout, but when I open the master layout I don't see the drawings.

I tried saving it back into AC11, but find the same problems.

Any thoughts?

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi:

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks
Barry Kelly
Be careful how you are selecting the drawings on the layout.
They may be overlapping with something on the master layout and Archicad thinks you want what is on the master and not the actual drawing.
Try selecting on a different edge of the drawing frame or an element in the drawing rather than selecting the surface.
I don't usually select by the surface but when I select an edge of the drawing frame I sometimes have this problem.
Selecting a corner node, a different edge or an element in the drawing usually works.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Be careful how you are selecting the drawings on the layout.
They may be overlapping with something on the master layout and Archicad thinks you want what is on the master and not the actual drawing.
Try selecting on a different edge of the drawing frame or an element in the drawing rather than selecting the surface.
I don't usually select by the surface but when I select an edge of the drawing frame I sometimes have this problem.
Selecting a corner node, a different edge or an element in the drawing usually works.
Barry.
Thanks for the reply Barry. I know what you mean and sometimes do the same thing.

I did a Google search (I seem to have better luck using Google than the search function here) and found the answer in this forum!

The deadly Grid Snap was turned on and not allowing me to select the drawing. For my work, I very rarely use grid snap so when it is inadvertently turned on, it throws me.

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
I heartily agree about the "deadly snap grid" problem.
I never use snap grid, but used to get it due to (user) error.
An easy solution to avoid accidentally invoking snap to grid is to
override the built in AC short cut - Alt+S. Since
I edit surfaces quite a bit, I overwrote Alt+S = Surfaces.