BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

AC 22 (Win 10) - Subtraction with downward / upward extrusion not working properly (AC 21 stairs)

Takis
Expert
Hi, I am facing a problem with the Subtraction with downward and upward extrusion commands.

I didn't figure out yet when the problem occurs because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work properly.

Simple subtraction works fine.

Can somebody check this out please.

Takis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi everyone,

We looked into this, and we found the problem. Turns out it doesn't depend on file version.

If the baseline of the stair doesn't touch or go through the surface of the mesh (in 3D), these options are not going to work. If you just subtract, it seems to work fine (and if the baseline doesn't go through it, you actually don't need upwards extrusion anyways), so you should be able to work on fine until this issue is fixed.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
No problem on MacOS 10.13.5 with walls/slabs. Could you say what you are using for your target and operator elements?

When you say 'sometimes it doesn't work properly' - do you mean it doesn't work at all? If it partially works - what is working / not working? Screenshot?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Takis
Expert
Karl hi, it partially works.
The problem is with Archicad 21 files edited in Archicad 22.
I'm trying to figure out when this is happening, I am facing the problem with:
1. Stairs as operator and mesh as target.
2. Mesh as operator and another mesh as target.

New Archicad 22 files do not occur any kind of the above problem.

Takis
Takis
Expert
The stairs created in Archicad 21 seems to have a problem with solid element operation upwards and downwards. Simple subtraction works fine.
The Archicad 21 stairs were edited in Archicad 22 and all their settings were changed to Archicad 22 stair settings.

The original Archicad 22 stairs were created in a new Archicad 22 file created from Archicad 22 Template and were imported in the migrated file. These stairs have no problem with solid element operations.

Takis
Takis
Expert
Picking up parameter from the original Archicad 22 stairs and injecting parameters to the imported Archicad 21 stairs resolves the problem.

At first I picked the parameters fron Archicad 21 stairs and inject the Archicad 22 stairs just to give my stairs materials e.t.c, then I changed the roles and picked parameters from Archicad stairs 22 and injected Archicad stairs 21.

Takis
Takis
Expert
Karl, in any case I have also informed my Resellers in Greece to take care of this problem.

Takis.
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Takis, for narrowing this bug down to an issue with AC 21 stairs converted to AC 22, for posting all of this including the screenshots, and reporting to your reseller! I changed the subject line for this thread, if that is OK with you, so that other users can more quickly see the issue.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi everyone,

We looked into this, and we found the problem. Turns out it doesn't depend on file version.

If the baseline of the stair doesn't touch or go through the surface of the mesh (in 3D), these options are not going to work. If you just subtract, it seems to work fine (and if the baseline doesn't go through it, you actually don't need upwards extrusion anyways), so you should be able to work on fine until this issue is fixed.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!